Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ok for those who do not know, I am considering the purchase of a 1976 GL for $400.

I couldnot attach a picture of it becuase Icould not figure out hot to get it so small ( if someone wants to see pics let me know ill email them) if based onwhat I am about to describe I wanted to see if you all could help me out to get a rough idea about how much I should be expecting to pay to get the bike back to at least stock shape, and also if you all think it is a good deal for the initial purchase. btw I plan to do most of the work myself.

Ok so the things wrong that I know of so far: It has been sitting a while, will at least need a rebuilt carb, will need new plugs and wires, seat, and gauges. Also seam to be missing the front blinkers and the full thank type thing, its obvious from the picture, the metal part that would normally be the fuel tank. The exhaust also seams to have some good rust. I have not seen the bike in person yet as it is about 120 miles away, so this is based off of what I was told and the pictures.

I plan to see the bike on Tuesday and depending on your advices and my liking of it, I might be picking it up that day as well, so please feel free to let me know what you all think and I'll be all ears (eyes) thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

It looks like eBay and some of the used Goldwing parts places are going to soon be your best friends. Please understand than many parts for the bike are no longer manufactured and you're forced to the salvage yards and used parts.

This will be a labour of love. You'll end up with more in it than if you purchased a bike not so in-need-of-work. But if this is what you want to do, the restoration is very rewarding, as will be the feeling of satisfaction finding that long-evasive part.

Get pix, and keep us posted!!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Not quite sure, when you say the gas tank is missing, whether you mean the actual tank, located under the seat, or whether you mean the panels that go where a bike's tank would normally be found, but either way, those sorts of parts do come up on ebay fairly frequently.

Not to make work for him but someone like AZ1500GL (John) would be easily able to re size your pictures to a sensible size for on here, or you might find if you have a go at putting them in the gallery, it will do it for you.

If the exhaust needs changing that is likely to be one of the expensive purchaces as the origional spec ones are as rare as hens teeth, so again ebay or some after market ones will be best.

Take heart though that there are a number of enthusiastic sites where advice and parts can be readily obtained. One is Randakks another Crescent Moon, someone will give you links to those sites if you ask, I am not sure where they are to be found I am afraid. Certainly Randakk does carb rebuild kits for the early Wings, along with other assorted parts that are hard to obtain nowadays.

$400 is not a lot of money to pay for an old Wing, even a relative basket case as parting out would likely give you more than your money back with a bit of effort, or could at least be re sold at the same or more as a parts donor bike.

If you want to give yourself some inspiration and enthusiasm, I recommend you google Naked Goldwings and have a look round that site at some of the labours of love, that people have restored.

When thinking of buying something like this, you should weigh up the pros and cons, because it may be cheaper in the long run to buy a restored or good origional Wing for a fair bit more money and not have the labour and $ to get it up and running.

In a few hours time I will be able to tell you if paying more for an origional is the better option, because I am off to collect a '77 myself, in fairly origional condition. :)

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I run an '82 GL1100. It is currently all tucked away for the winter.

Last weekend I bought a barn fresh 82 Interstate. I paid $450.

So far, I have just started assessing her. I haven't figured out if the engine is seized or not yet. But I am saddened with the deterioration that neglect has caused to this beautiful machine.

I am not sure if this bike is destined to go back on the road or is goign to be a donor bike for others out there. I can see how easy it would be to spend money and labour far excess ofa reasonable market value.

Fortunately, I am not in the business of restoring old Gold Wings. In pulling this apart and maybe restoring it, I hope to learn more about the bike that I am riding and to have some satisfaction inthe process.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

after reading this post i feel very lucky my 84 1200 i only cost me $200 and all the parts were there just the usual things to take care of carbs. brakes , timing belts are next i rode last summer a few times but when i read here about the timing belts i decided to park it till i had the time to do the belts

seems like alot of work id keep looking for one with all the parts and just needs the usual

just my 1/2 cent

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Not to make work for him but someone like AZ1500GL (John) would be easily able to re size your pictures to a sensible size for on here, or you might find if you have a go at putting them in the gallery, it will do it for you.
Or you could contact the resident Graphics Guru, and he could resize too. I hear he has all the skills necessary;)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,681 Posts
imported post

Oh shucks UbarW, you almost stole my thunder :D

There are several who can be of help. UbarW is by far the best, but I manage in a scrape :cooldevil: to resize stuff too.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

ok, hmm so can anyone give me like the quick rundown or should I contact these people privatly

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

You could visit http://www.irfanview.com/

And download free software that will help you view and change lots of files. I personally use a different software that I paid for.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

The folks are playing with each other and you and me, UbarW is the "graphics guru" that he speaks of, so he is basically offering his services to you and John is being modest too as he is excellent at messing with pictures. :)

The easy way to contact any member directly is to PM ( private message)them, this can be done in a couple of ways. If the person has made a post you can simply click on PM button to the side of that post and it will take you to the page to insert a message to them. Alternatively, if you know a member's site name, but can't find a post by them, just use the search box to the right side of the main page and remember to click the "search for member" box under it.

Don't feel too bad, I have been on the site a good long while and still don't know what the heck I am doing!!!:shock::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

ok, so I have emailed "the guru" and sent him the pics so hopfully buy the end of the day they will be up

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Xuno_gil, you should be able to find another 70s GL with all the parts you need for under $500.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

ok the pictures of the bike have been posted in the Gallery, I think you should be able to find them under my name. let me know what you all thing for the price.

and btw "morram" your avitar display seams to be a vespa gt or gts having a burnout, I love it, I myself have a gt but haven't yet done the burnout.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

a great shame about the missing panels and fuel gaugemate:(

Sorry, someone else will have to do it, my computer is now running at snails pace and I have tried to change the bad link and it won't work.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

and the LTD badging on the remaining side panel yes I think it is.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Well did some research and found out all about the 1976 LTD, I guess its pretty cool that I found one, the bad thing is that most of the things that made the LTD special like the gauges, panels and stuff are missing or broken on this bike, The wheels is the only thing it has.
So if I wanted to restore it to LTD standard not only will it be a lot more expensive but, I’m sure finding the parts would be a lot harder as well, am I wrong? And does anyone know where might be a good place to start looking for i.e., LTD panels and gauges?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.