Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone know for sure if the LED display on the 1800 can be changed from imperial to metric? I've heard a lot of rumors - but has anyone got any real experience?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,202 Posts
imported post

I remember it being discussed before, but do not remember what the answer was.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I just can't imagine that there are two distinct units John - geeze the cheapest watch or led stat can be changed from 24 hour to 12 hour.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

I remember the topic being discussed on the forum and as I recall, the consensus was that the GL1200 could be switched between miles and metric but the GL1800 could not. I have been through all the possible switch combinations on mine and can find no way to change it.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

LED display? The combination meter? All it has is the trip display, temperature and so on.
No it cannot be changed. There is a specific one for the specific area of manufacture.
The speedometer can be changed, but the speed sensor will still indicate mileage from the area it was designed for.

I suppose you could install some type of speedo healer, do not know what the result would be, as the speedometer is tied into many functions of the bike, and all of that stuff is calibrated for the specific design. Even the auto volume control on the stereo is tied to the speedometer.

A new speedometer is about 3 bills, the meter panel is about 1300 dollars , and so on. (have saw them for about 1100)

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Kit - the speedo doesn't bother me as it has both markings - MPH and KPH but the LED display is in Miles and Fahrenheit. I'd like to be looking at Kilometers and Celcius.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well we are in an area I am not totally sure about. You do have to change the LCD meter panel. I did know at one time someone said a fellow over across the pond could modify them. In any event they cannot be converted by us, the backyard mechanics. New ones are expensive, and I am not just exactly sure about the speed sensor on the crankcase. I am sure it would require one calibrated for riding on the wrong side of the road too. :D Kit

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

The reason I started this thread was because someone told me that the display could be changed using a genuine Honda diagnostic tool and I was wondering if anyone has done the conversion. It's not do-or-die, this is my third US spec Wing so I've learned to live with the differences.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I doubt the speed sensor is different, in this day and age that wouldn't make sense. I would imagine the pulses/sec from the sensor is the same at 50 mph and 80 kph.

I'm not sure about this, but I think the sensor reads the teeth on a gear on the output shaft of the transmission, in which case the pulses will definitely not change with the country of sale.

Almost certainly the conversion of those pulses is set in the 'computer', I imagine the ECU. They are probably in some kind of EEPROM, which is what the guy was likely referring to, or else a dedicated chip, which would not be alterable.

Now that I think about it Miles, if we felt really ambitious we could put my ECU in to your bike and see what happens, it's just the thought of all those screws!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Interesting thought EB but I don't think I want to go that deep. If there is a simple programing fix - great, if not - so be it.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I talked to the tech at my dealer this morning, he is quite knowledgeable on Wings.

He said that in all the times he has had the Honda scanner thing hooked up to a Wing he has never seen anything that suggests the programming can be changed. He admitted he wasn't 100% sure of that, but he felt the programming was hard-coded in at manufacture for the intended market.

He also said that he has changed out US spec meters for Canadian spec, because that is all they can order, and that when they do that the meter works just fine, but in km and kph. This means that the signal from the VS sensor must be the same regardless.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Yes it can be changed ,there is a guy in Belgium who does the conversation ,from miles to Kilometers and the LED from farenheit to Celcius ,I think I have an address for him here ,He has done a lot of the Irish wings and no problems ,We are the same as Canada with Kiometers and celcius and most of our bikes come in from the USA and the UK which are miles ,I will have a look for contact details for you ,,Hang on there,be right back :)....found it ..Ciaran

[align=left]Peter Derluyn[/align]Roeselaarsestraat 614
[align=left]8870 Izegem[/align]tel: +32 51 318383
[align=left]gsm : +32 473 420408 [/align]
[align=left][url]http://www.petersmotoshop.be[/url][/align]

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Wexy - does that link work for you? Not working here. I'll try again later if it works for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.