Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got a 1978 gl 1000 would like to upgrade look and function to new one inch bars and if a 7 in bullet headlight would be possible for this gold wing

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Anything is possible. What's wrong with the "look" of the 7/8 bars? You'll have to make adapters for the bar clamps, unless someone out there has already made them. A lot of work for very little gain IMO. If I did that, I can imaging the ribbin' I'd get from my HD buddies.. ..

(who, by the way, have all parked their 1" bars for the winter.) :D

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

sure u can modify anything to accomodate 1inch bars but why would you want to? if i may ask

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I saw a thread over on the naked wings sight where a guy had a link to rizers that converted 7/8 bars to l inch bars. Don\tremember that place they where like 30 bucks

Wilf

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...of course, you could shave the top tree and put your own bar clamps in. Do that and weld on some new risers. Or just weld-on some new bars. Lots of ways..

I like my stock bars. I did change my bar clamp though. From a Honda 450 twin. It's a full cast piece. I thought of making one but came across this instead. I've a control-head to mount there. This gave another option.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
sure u can modify anything to accomodate 1inch bars but why would you want to? if i may ask
Because then it would be more like a Harley instead of a "Rice Burner" - Of Course!

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
imported post

The bars won't fit the clamps, the clutch, brake and switches won't fit the 1" bars so it seems a lot more trouble than it's worth. Hard to tell 1" from 7/8" bars from very far off anyway. If you want taller, shorter, wider or narrower bars just get what you want in 7/8. If it's fatter grips you want just get fatter grips.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Anim8or Earl wrote:
That clamp looks good CaptainMidnight85.
Thanks. It's surprising to me to find so many interchangeable parts from other models.

The 450 had a new choke cable on it as well. 5" shorter than a GL cable, but exactly the same otherwise. Perfect length for my carb swap should I ever change it to a manual choke.

I run one of the shocks from that bike too. They were new replacements on the 450. One air-spring and one conventional spring on the 1000. Like a 1500. I blew out a seal on one of the air shocks, so it seemed right to me. Works well.

My bike is turning into a Mutt. :ROFL:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.