Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My cousin recently bought a heavy equipment trailer. It's rated 29,000 lbs, but he only registered it at 14 or 16,000 (I don't exactly remember) because he won't be moving anything bigger then that.

The trailer is equipted with air brakes. We need to convert to electric brakes. The problem is that the drums do not have the flat surface for the magnet to make the needed contact.

In the pic below, you can see inside the drum,,,,,,,,, there seems to be a raised ring with 9 threaded holes. The only reason we can think of these holes being there, is for a plate/disc to be mounted in order to be able to use the drum for the electric brakes.

We can have plates/disc made at a local shop, but was wondering if there would be a companydistributor that would already have such a thing. I can't find anything on the web,,, and maybe because I really don't know what I'm searching for and I thought why not come here and askthe gurus ;).

I circled a few of the holes to better point them out,,,,, there are 9 holes total. The drum size is "12 1/4.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you,,,,,, that points me into a good direction. Lots of great info to find. I might even find something for my skid steer :waving:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Perhaps a new axle from the junkyard would be the easiest way to go?

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

There is a company that I use for trailer brakes. Dexter is the company and or the manufacture. Hopefully they can help you. Sorry, don't have the phone # here at home. Tony:waving:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Most mobile home axles use electric brakes. Now when you buy a mobile home they block it up and take the axles off and they go back to the dealer most of the time. they're not part of the purchase anymore unless you pay extra. A lot of mobile home movers also keep sets handy for those times a used mobile home dealer doesn't have an extra set for a house that needs moving. Check with a mover in your area and see if he has a set for sale that may work for you. Or at least tell you where you can find a set.

We have used mobile home part stores around here that carry quite a bit of used mobile home parts. Reminds me, I need a new front storm door and a rear door/storm door combo for the back door.

Around here a lot of the dirt track racers and farmers build their dual axle trailers with mobile home axles.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

AVA AUTO TECH wrote:
There is a company that I use for trailer brakes. Dexter is the company and or the manufacture. Hopefully they can help you. Sorry, don't have the phone # here at home. Tony:waving:
Here ya be. http://www.dexteraxle.com/home :action::action::action:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for all the replies,

We have done the moble home axle thing before (actually on the old trailer). This trailer has the "spindle" type axle, duel wheels tandem. It's a heavy bugger and just the electric brake kits alone will be a large cost. And if we were to change everything out, it would end up needing different wheels too (another cost).

Cost and hard labor will be much lower by just adding the plate/disc to the original drums. Like I said,,,,, we already know we can have them made at a local shop,,, I was just looking to see if there would be something already avalible on the market.

Thanks again, :waving:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Those threaded holes in the drum have nothing to do with standard air brake systems. all the mechanics involved in a brake application happen outside of the drum with an air pot, slack adjusters & "s" cams which spread the drum shoes against the inside of the drum. Those drums might be multi purpose for air & electric.
Good luck!
wayne.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
Those threaded holes in the drum have nothing to do with standard air brake systems.
Those drums might be multi purpose for air & electric.
Good luck!
wayne.
I understand the air brake system for the most part.

Those holes are what makes me think the drums are for multi purpose like you say.

I'm just trying to find out if there is a plate/disc avalible for the drums. Most likely we will have to have them made though.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Winger... The backing plate assemblies are on the Dexter site.

Isn't that all you need?
Just match the flange size and spacing to the drum diam and width?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.