Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am going to convert my 83 Interstate back to a naked bike. I am sure a few people have done this before, is there any thing I should be aware of? I am hunting down a headlight assembly right now. I am not going to be happy with the seat so I am going to look for other option of a more sleek style seat.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Night_Train01 wrote:
I am going to convert my 83 Interstate back to a naked bike. I am sure a few people have done this before, is there any thing I should be aware of? I am hunting down a headlight assembly right now. I am not going to be happy with the seat so I am going to look for other option of a more sleek style seat.
This fellow Canadian has them listed. Fifth item down.

https://www.partsnmore.com/cat_index.php?model=gl1000-1100&category=electrical

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks for the information....

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
imported post

The first thing you'll want to get is the headlight assembly, fork brackets that hold the light, and front turn signals. After that, accessorize to your hearts content.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've got an 1100 Aspy that I'm converting to a Standard also. The prices on turn signals which you'll need from Parts'n'more are very good. Used ones on eBay often run much higher. You can get universal mounting ears for a head light from many on line sources. Likewise several places sell head light bucket assemblies. When removing the fork weight and junction box you can rewire some of the connectors since you won't need all the circuits that were in the fairing. If you aren't going to keep the saddle bags you'll need a new U shaped seat guard that goes around the back of the seat and helps support the rear fender. Otherwise there'll be a hole in the middle of the fender. I'm undecided whether I want to keep the original hard bags on or not, right now I'm kinda leaning to leaving the saddlebags on. If you don't need the hard bags you can get ride of the air shocks. Replace them with spring shocks. Also you could put Progressive springs in the forks and forget about air in them too. I was very impressed with the handling of the 1100 Standard, it's a blast to ride, very quick and nimble. I had a small sport windshield, fairing combo on my 1100 Standard much like the ones National Windshield sells. It worked very well with the naked bike, pretty unobtrusive but gave a good bit of protection and took the wind pressure off one's chest and face.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.