Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Any tips on going without the fairing?

I think I would need a headlight mount and new turn signal hardware and mirrors. And the weight would come off.

If I do this project I would put up the fairing and parts for sale.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

If memory serves me, the only thing in your fairing besides the lights, is fluff (stereo, clock, etc...). If this is true, you've pretty much pegged it. A set of headlight ears, headlight assembly (doesn't have to be Honda), & some turn signals. I'd hold on to the fairing for a while, just in case!:shock:You might find you want it faired, or (heaven forbid) want to sell her one day....... She'd bring more with the fairing...

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

The fairing is so easy to remove and refit that it would make more sense to keep it. The bike has to be worth more with the fairing, more than you would get by selling the fairing on it's own.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
imported post

hey edz i just took mine off a couple weeks ago i bought some aftermarket signals ($8.00)and a headlamp bucket from my fav.salvage yard ($15.00)my biggest problem was trying to figure out wich wires went to the signals after removing the pigtail for the fairing i do mostly in town driving everyday so the fairing just wasnt practicul but i did keep for those trips i HOPE to go on good luck b.t.w. i ride a 81 gl1100

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks for the comments. My fairing has so much bounce in it that it is time for it to come off. I would like to try a different look for a while. maybe just go with a windshield only.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

I have bothan 83Standard and an 83 Aspencade. On the Standard, there are ears that hold the turn signals on. These are attached to the headlight holders which attach to the front forks. To make a naked wing, you would need to buy the new covers with the ears and turn signals. If not, by some accessory turn signals that clamp to the handle bars. You will also need a headlight bucket and light.

When I first got my standard, it had an aftermarket windshield and the buffeting was terrible. I purchased the Vetter Touring kit which I haveon now. Works great. I have to admit that it was fun riding the bike naked, I mean the naked bike. It feels a lotlighter. However, being behind the fairing on the freeway is a lot more comfortable, and without the bags, I couldn't bring a fresh apple pie home from Julian.

Have fun on your naked wing.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Jerryk wrote:
I have bothan 83Standard and an 83 Aspencade. On the Standard, there are ears that hold the turn signals on. These are attached to the headlight holders which attach to the front forks. To make a naked wing, you would need to buy the new covers with the ears and turn signals. If not, by some accessory turn signals that clamp to the handle bars. You will also need a headlight bucket and light.

When I first got my standard, it had an aftermarket windshield and the buffeting was terrible. I purchased the Vetter Touring kit which I haveon now. Works great. I have to admit that it was fun riding the bike naked, I mean the naked bike. It feels a lotlighter. However, being behind the fairing on the freeway is a lot more comfortable, and without the bags, I couldn't bring a fresh apple pie home from Julian.

Have fun on your naked wing.

LOL!

My wife is still giving me grief about not bringing her a pie back when I took my ride up there a couple of months ago!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

I am currently rebuilding an 82 gl1100 semi-standard. I call it that due to the fact that it was an interstate, but it has a naked front end and still keeps the side saddlebags. I was able to use the headlight and bucket from a 78 cb550k I had, when i found the bike it had a hideous looking naked front end with rectangular lights. The naked front end with a cruiser windshield is nice, and keeping the saddlebags leaves room for bringing home pie :D and groceries. It also gives it a cruiser look for local riding and a few turned heads. Don't know if they are trying to figure out what it is, or if they really like the look.:cool:

here is a link to the begininning and after of the front end.
www.freewebs.com/rcoproductions/gl1100.htm

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Looking good, I especially like the turn signal/running lights!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

I remember when I lived in Oceanside, Riding up to Julian to the Apple Pie Festival. Boy, Haven't thought about that in years. Moved from So Cal to No Cal in 1986. I can almost smell the hot Apple pie now.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1:Wish I could send a sample by E-mail to you. Sorry. It's a great ride up there too.

For those of you out of the area, Julian is an old quaint mining town up in the mountainsof southern California. It came close to being destroyed by the fire that hit us a couple of years ago. The road up is winding, covered by trees. Going back down, you can take Sunrise highway which puts you in a position to look at the Pacific on one side and the desert on the other.

In Julian, they are famous for their apple pie, plus on weekends, the streets are lined with hundreds of bikes. Great ride, great place to stop and a great ride home. Life is good.

Jerry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.