Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Guys,

Im probably going to regret starting this but, here goes. Has any one used the coolant additive called 40 Below, I know its here in the states, but ive never used it.

Was wondering if it would work in My Dad and my GL1200's.

We are going on a vacation to the mountains of North Carolina in 2 Weeks, and we were going to flush and drain our radiators before we go. Ive read the posts about coolant and i must be having a bad day, because im still not sure which one to use as far as coolant goes, for our GL1200's. One is an 84,and one is an 85.

Anyone want to try to help me.

Thanks, Smallfry

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Why not use the Honda Type II coolant? It's the proper one for the Wings and won't ruin our waterpumps. You can get it from Honda car dealers if your bike shop doesn't have it. I've heard of 40 Below, I suppose it can't do any harm, unless of course it contains silicates!

[align=center]
[/align]

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

The posts boil down (pun intended!) to 3 products, IMO -

Honda Type II, Peak Global Lifetime, and Xerex G-05. The last two are readily available. The Honda cheaper at auto dealers vs. motorcycle dealers...

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

/forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif as long as we are talking about coolant additives.. What is the considered opinion of this board on leak stopping chemicals like "Bars Leak Stop " ???.. Do they contain silicates? Will they screw up the water pump ? Are they worse than the leak they stop ?????/forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif.. I know a 1500 owner who put some in about 8 months to stop  a pinhole leak.. no problem so far ...  But I told him that as a winter project, IMHO , that the rad should be removed,  soldered properly, and the system flushed ... even if its a whole saturday 's work, in and out ... so what do others think ? ..... a harmless additive ? /forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif.. or  a potential mess ??/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/gunhead.gif SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey smallfry28 :waving:This is the coolant for your :12red:

:3sum::18red::3sum:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Smallfry, wow, is it gonna be "40 Below" in the N.C. mountains in 2 weeks, Berrrr!:baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Most of the additives like 40 Below are wetting agents to increase reduce the surface tension of water to reduce cavitation and bubbling in the water/metal interface. It's hard to know if a specific additive is compatible with your bike. Since overheating usually isn't a problem with a 1200 I wouldn't use anything other than a good non silicate coolant. Honda car coolant sold by Honda dealers is good, I use Prestone Extended life coolant, it's non silicate.

As for Stop Leak, It can help in an emergency, but it can also glob up internal parts, I pulled a water pump out of an engine some time ago and found a lot of the stuff stuck to the rim of the casting next to the impeller. I wouldn't use it unless it was the only way to get home, and I'd really flush the system out when I got there. By it's nature it isn't a permanent repair. If you have a leak fix it right and you'll feel better.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome toa GreatForum Smallfry. It is always great to hear from a fellow N.C. rider. These guys give great advise--keep away from anything with silicates.

About the stopleak additives, I have seen one bike that had not been properly maintained and when stopleak was added, it ran hot in minutes. The coolant had not been changed in many years.:banana:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
As for Stop Leak, It can help in an emergency, but it can also glob up internal parts, I pulled a water pump out of an engine some time ago and found a lot of the stuff stuck to the rim of the casting next to the impeller. I wouldn't use it unless it was the only way to get home, and I'd really flush the system out when I got there. By it's nature it isn't a permanent repair. If you have a leak fix it right and you'll feel better.
My dad says he used to throw some oatmeal in his model A's radiator to stop a leak... Like Paul, I would use a stop leak to be able to make it home, but then I would fix the problem and flush the system

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
My dad says he used to throw some oatmeal in his model A's radiator to stop a leak...
MythBusters confirmed that an egg in the radiator alsoworks to stop a leak... Do I recommend it? NOooooo!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

hossners wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:
My dad says he used to throw some oatmeal in his model A's radiator to stop a leak...
MythBusters confirmed that an egg in the radiator alsoworks to stop a leak... Do I recommend it? NOooooo!
Plus the old timers use to use "tobacco" that's where they got the idea to use shredded Aluminum, which on cars works great, bikes not sure?!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
hossners wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:
Plus the old timers use to use "tobacco" that's where they got the idea to use shredded Aluminum, which on cars works great, bikes not sure?!:baffled:

My dad used pepper and swore it worked great:grinner:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

stretrod48 wrote:
wingdawg101 wrote:
hossners wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:

My dad used pepper and swore it worked great:grinner:
Yea but it mikes your bike "sneeze" !:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

We have oatmeal, eggs, pepper--Sounds like we are feeding it , not stopping a leak!!:jumper::jumper::jumper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Actually oatmeal and eggs have been proven to work, but I wouldn't want them in my bike unless it was really an emergency. The egg patch thing was shown on the Discovery Channel program Mythbusters.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
imported post

As far as antifreeze, I took the recommendations on this board and bought the Texaco/ Havoline orange stuff in the black bottle at Wally-Mart about 9 bucks, safe for our aluminum engines and contains no silicates.

Make sure you flush and fill with DISTILLED water (no more than a buck a bottle). ;)

I'd stay away from puttin the snake oils in our fine machinery.:goofygrin:

Doug77
77 GL1000

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Actually oatmeal and eggs have been proven to work, but I wouldn't want them in my bike unless it was really an emergency. The egg patch thing was shown on the Discovery Channel program Mythbusters.

when in doubt I think you can also use haggis... or was it a deer alert... to the same affect roflma (sorry)

rodger

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:

Seriously:rollingeyes:,Information like thiscan be a life saver out on the road where a grocery store or a diner can help solve a leaking problem in an emergency:cooler:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I know you all have to be waiting on this: EVANS NPG+ waterless coolant.

Oh Kay.:cooldevil:

Hobie:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
I know you all have to be waiting on this: EVANS NPG+ waterless coolant.

Oh Kay.:cooldevil:

Hobie:cheeky1:
Don't open that "Can of Worms" !:doh:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.