Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a very small leak of coolant on front rh side coming out of grill on cowling under lower cornering light.

Is this likely to be the infamous leak from the overflow pipe into header tank ?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Yep, could be that, or the 5/16" rubber crossover tube between the rads. The overflow tube is much easier to check and fix, so go there first.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

Mine did that and it was the small hose #14 that was leaking. You might want to check it closely. See if you can follow the leak trail as it will run/jump from engine to frame at different spots.

The small hoseis a bear to get to, you have to remove the rads. If you decide to change it, you can get bulk hose from an auto parts store cheaper. Be VERY careful as part #17 is plastic and WILL BREAK.... Trust me on this....Then you will have to order it from MotherHonda!!

Let's just hope the leak is an easy fix!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Also check the bottom of the reserve tank. I have seen one of the locator **** that wasn't in the hole on the frame wear and leak.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

is it a leak all the time or just when weather gets cold. my 90 gl1500 had what i call a cold leak. i pulled lower cowl and found my leak on rad; y hose because of age rubber hardens. i cleaned mine at the time but will replace with new. RLM61

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

its been pretty hot here over the summer and had the water marks on lower cowl each time used bike.

it seem more now than before ( it took it for a short run last weekend and it was mid 20's Celsius ).

I am going to take off all the covers soon to see if i can find it.

which hose was leaking ?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Until you take some plastic off you won't find it. Lots of places to look. First thing though is remove all the lower front and side panels. Then look with a flashlight or worklight. Check first while cold engine then warming up till it gets hot and the fans kick on. Have you been keeping the coolant level up?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I'd pop out thewee finishpanels under the handlebars first. If it's the notorious overflow hose to thecoolant bottle - you could have it diagnosed without picking up a single tool. :)

Plus - check your coolant at the radiator cap - if the overflow hose isn't in one piece, the bike can't draw back from the coolant bottle.The hot enginewill push coolant out the broken hose, and pull in air (instead of coolant) as it cools down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The weather here dropped to 32 recently. I rode that evening for a little while and a couple of days later I noticed a small spot of antifreeze on the ground. There was some around the exhaust where it comes out of the engine. I wiped it off and started it up till it was at temp. I then saw a very small amount on the other side of the engine around the valve cover. I ran it some more and burned it off. Then I rode it around for about 30 minutes. Checked it again and no leaks. It sat overnight, no leaks. Don't know what could be going on. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The weather here dropped to 32 recently. I rode that evening for a little while and a couple of days later I noticed a small spot of antifreeze on the ground. There was some around the exhaust where it comes out of the engine. I wiped it off and started it up till it was at temp. I then saw a very small amount on the other side of the engine around the valve cover. I ran it some more and burned it off. Then I rode it around for about 30 minutes. Checked it again and no leaks. It sat overnight, no leaks. Don't know what could be going on. Anyone have any thoughts on this.
It could be coming from many locations, even far away from the places where you see the drip emerge.

Best thing to do is to remove both fans, so as to gain 80% visible access to the coolant lines, then operate the engine until warmed up, looking for obvious leaks. Common sources are the large hoses connecting to the radiators and thermostat.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I was leaking quite a bit of anti freeze on the left valve cover when on sidestand last spring. Couldn`t find anything wrong with the overflow bottle, or hoses associated with it. A new thermostat, and thermostat gasket solved my leakage problem 100%. Hard to get to though, so check all the easy stuff first.
gumbyred

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.