Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have never been inside one of these motors but do know from scouring over my clymer guide that this should be a dty environment. I saw another thread talking about oil leaks in same erea. Thats what has me baffled. I have coolant and dont know where it could be coming from. If a head is cracked or something like that the coolant I believe should be bringing some oil along for the ride through what I presume is the L/S cam seal. But it is clean anti-freeze. And my oil level is not rising. It is getting on in the season in the chicago erea but I have a few scheduled rides left and would like to make them if risk is not to high. BTW,the bike is running as well as it has in the 7000 miles i've put on it since buying it in June this year. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking for cures as well as worst case scenorios if I ride that 1 mile further than I should have. Thanks in advance to all replys.:baffled:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

I'd check the upper radiator hose or the top goose neck or the radiator itself for a leaks it could run down the front casing and look like it's coming from inside the timing covers. There are no water ports inside the timing covers..no ports at all..cracked engine block would be the only source inside the covers.

Are you sure it's teh covers and not the weep hole from the water pump?

·
Administrator
26,561 Posts
imported post

I had the same thing on my 81. The hose to the coolant reservoir was leaking, running down the front engine mount plate into the timing covers and out the bottom. There is no way for coolant to leak from anywhere inside the timing covers, it has to be coming from above them.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

Hey Bob...

I can't throw in any useful tech info, but just gotta say that is one BEAUTIFUL 1100 you have there!

Joe

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The cracked block therory is what I figured. It is DEFINATLY internal in source. I did have some small cold water leaks at clamps etc. and sealed them. I also was able to pull down the rubber seal under timing belt cover and the coolant RAN out. Had hop[e there might be something other than the block that could have been the source, Bitch of it is the bike is running great. Just came back from a Welcome home for a Hero and the bike ran terrific. But today it gets parked before I make it worse or it locks up on me.:X

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

JoeB27 wrote:
Hey Bob...

I can't throw in any useful tech info, but just gotta say that is one BEAUTIFUL 1100 you have there!

Joe
Thanks Joe. Right now it appears its a big beatiful garage decoration.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Well, you can run the bike with those covers off..I'd do that and find the leak before I tore anything else apart..I still thing it's leaking down into the covers. I am not even sure if there are any water ports close to the front of the casing where it could leak into there with a cracked block.

Take those covers off throw some corn starch or baby power on the front of the engine..then start her up it will show any slight leak very well.

If you got a longer bottom radiator hose and held the radiator out a bit it would make it much easier to see behind there.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

I would try what RB said.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

RB wrote:
Well, you can run the bike with those covers off..I'd do that and find the leak before I tore anything else apart..I still thing it's leaking down into the covers. I am not even sure if there are any water ports close to the front of the casing where it could leak into there with a cracked block.

Take those covers off throw some corn starch or baby power on the front of the engine..then start her up it will show any slight leak very well.

If you got a longer bottom radiator hose and held the radiator out a bit it would make it much easier to see behind there.
Well RB,I try to always admit it when I'm wrong or just confused and I was both. I cleaned the area all around that cover and ran the bike for what seemed like hours this week trying to find this leak. Saw nothing except what I explained above. Then loe and behold the flood gates opened and coolant started flowing out from somewhere above the motor.:jumper::clapper::cool:. Have to take the fairing off to determine for sure but it could be the radiator neck right near the cap. Its somewhere around there,but it aint the motor.:leprechaun:Some times its better to be lucky than good. Thanks to all who replied.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

a lot of times the overflow hose where it is attached to the radiator will crack and leak there and run down. JB

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Glad it's not the engine..

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

Hey RB, if it were leaking from the weep hole on the water pump, would it be long before there was a catastrophic failure. I've got a drop hanging on my belt cover, but I don't have significant loss.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.