Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Took the bike out of the garage and was warming it up in the driveway. It was running approx 20-30 minutes. Just about to get on whencoolant ran from underneath it. I shut it off and the leak stopped. Probably lost 1/4 litre of coolant. Temperature bars all the way up. Replaced the coolant and took her out for about 2 hours and temp ran between 4 and 5 bars. Seems to be working fine now. Do you think this was a one time glitch caused by a longer than normal warm-up or might this be something more serious? I do have to watch her temp around townin slow traffic

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

did it come from the little hole under the water pump.... if so, you have a water pump replacment ahead of you

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Not sure where it came from exactly... just underneath the bike... it was coolant. The fan was on when I shut off the motor.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

probably from the overflow or the rad cap. probably it was too warm for the fan to keep it cold. how was the weather that day? its always recomended to put a fan in the front of the bike if you will let it sit for a long time (e.g. balancing carbs) 20 minutes seem a lot to me. do you usually let it warm up that long?. did you used the choke? what rpms she was doing when you went out?

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

I think it overheated for a reason, but sitting still at idle had a lot to do with it too. But a good sign is your fan kicked on though.

If you were able to see where it came from...there's an overflow hose on the rear rightside of the motor. If it came from there, then that's great...perhaps it's time to do some preventive maintenance?... change the thermostat, hoses (you can buy one and cut it for both hoses, check the reference section), clampsand replace the antifreeze with fresh Dexcool(the orange coolant).

But if I were you, I'd refill the radiator and overflow and force it to overheat again just to see where it's coming from. Better in your driveway than on a highway.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Sounds like from the overflow. Normally it would only run5 minutes max but this day I got side-tracked. It was running at about 8-900 RPM. The weather was hot. The choke was used to start the bike, however, it is on a spring and I have to hold it down until the engine warms up and can run without choke.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Or it could even be leaking off one of theO-ringedpipe connections on top of the motor (under the carbs)...real tought to guess... I say force it to overheat again (after filling it of course) and see. Or get one of those pressure caps and pump up enough pressure to find the leak that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.