Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Further to my previous post about white smoke and overheating: When I went to start this morning - nothing. Battery good. Suspected hydrostatic lock so I pulled the plugs one at a time to see which cylinder. Antifreeze came shooting out the cylinder nearest the fuel pump. Dried everything off and it started up as usual but with a bit more than usual white smoke from the right side. And runs a bit rough.

Is it time for a head gasket? Is this something that should be left to the shop? Could there be a problem like cracked cylinder wall or cracked head that I wouldn't be able to spot - or cure - at home?

Richard
83 Aspy

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Yes gido ... it is time .
Assume you have been riding this summer and we can eliminate freezing and cracking the motor .?
Its up to you if you feel that you are able to replace a head gasket . I can only suggest that ... if you have no experience with working on your bike , you should probably leave it to the pros.
Alternatively , if you feel you are up to it , we will help you along the way . Its your choice.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

The job is very do-able for the home mechanic. You'll need a manual and O.E.M. head-gaskets. There are cheaper ones available, but the Honda brand seem to seal the best... :gunhead:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

It's probably a head gasket, but there are other things that can cause a cracked head or case, including a defect in the original casting. Overheating and hydrolock can cause it too. Hopefully it is the head gasket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.