Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Goldwing GL1500SE with 78,000KM.
When the bike idles for about 4-5 minutes a coolant leak occurs dripping off the timing case. The heat gauge indicates that the engine is heating up as it should. When the gauge hits approx the 1/3 mark, the coolant will start to run out. When the bike is shut off, the leak stops. The situation can be reproduced and the leak will occur when the engine reaches the same temp. I can see coolant on top of the heads so the leak is coming from above.
Any idea where I should start looking would be appreciated. Hoping I don't have to start removing the radiator.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
You might check the coolant pipes that connect to the heads. They have a o ring that sometimes will go bad and cause a seep. On the right head pull the panel that you check your oil under and look forward. Under the rubber flap. The left head it is on the forward edge of the top of the head.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The leak could be anywhere, however I suspect it's from the Upper Hose Connection on the Thermostat... eg When the bike warms up, the Thermostat Opens, thereby allowing the leak to appear in the large "Y-hose" that connects to the top of it.

If that's not it, then the next culprit to check is the hose connections to the radiators.

One of those likely has a loose hose clamp, and/or "clear tape" on the connections. That tape is notorious for enabling the hoses to slip off... Look very closely for it, even scraping the male boss with a knife to reveal the tape... afterwhich, fully remove the tape and re-install.

The only way to check any of this is to remove one or (preforably) both the fans... The right side fan is slightly easier to remove than the left (due to not having to deal with the heater hose to the carb). Remove the fan/s, then visually verify that all hoses are fully-seated and the camps tight... If further inspection is required, then run the bike (with fan/s out) until it warms up... paying particular attention to that hose connection to the thermostat... When the T-stat opens is when the leaks typically appear, and they'll be easy to see at that point.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum barneyfc

As said it is a look and see, mostly you have to remove the seat, radio shroud and lower plastic fairing pieces to start with, then the fans. It would be a good time to replace the sub and cruise filters if you haven't done that and clean or replace the air filter, and replace the gas filter(Napa #3003 @ $5), Lube all your cables, remove the Dot 4 from the master cylinders, clean out, and flush the systems with fresh new Dot 4(1-2 year Preventive Maintenance) so you insure to have no problems with the brakes and clutch(if more than 3 years since been done, the systems should be torn apart and clean out all the gunk thoroughly as flushing won't clear that out alone and the pistons can stick and leak from gunk hardening in the seal grooves)
Be sure to post back a reply here what you find after checking out the hoses and pipe o-rings to help others later that use the forum search tools looking for answers.
Or if you do not find your leak and need or more help, ask.
Do you have a repair manual for the bike? Number one tool,

Here are some helpful how to's
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/
http://goldwingdocs.com/How-To-Articles-GL1500.asp

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I had the same problem. turns out the hose to the overflow had come off near the radiator cap.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thank you all. It will be a couple of days before I get back at it but I will post what I find.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Into the belly of the beast!

Well it's been a while. In the little free time I've had I have managed to get my bike stripped further on my own than I would have imagined. I have the air cleaner housing removed, the carburator exposed and both cooling fans and both radiators removed.
I have a Clymer manual but there are a lot of little steps that it misses. Someone suggested the Honda Manual and knew friend who had one. I would highly recommend the Honda Manual if possible.
I had pressure tested the system and found that the system was maintaining pressure so I thought maybe the problem was the filler cap or reservoir tank but I quickly eliminated those items as the problem.
After I had removed the RH fan and with the radiators still connected, I came across different clamps or connections that I hoped were the origin of the coolant leak but after starting the bike and letting it heat up, the leak would occur but not at the connections I was working on. On my last test, after the bike heated up I heard a noise like a hose letting go and a torrent of coolant running into my catch pan. I knew then that I had to go farther, removing more parts and checking connections and hoses as I went.
Once the fans and radiators were removed I was able to get a better, although not ideal, view of the main coolant hoses as well as some of the smaller hoses. I could not see any obvious breaks, splits rips or tears so I took my shop light and proceeded to go over every inch possible looking for something.
That is when I seen it!
The end of the "Y" that connects to the thermostat, was not connected to the thermostat. From the top looking down I could see into the thermostat bowl. The clamp is sitting down around the neck of the bowl. The hose had blown off. I need to quit for the night.
My next step is to get at the thermostat and replace it. I will have to take it out to check it anyway but I assume it was not releasing and that is what caused the hose to come off.
Because this is my first time going this in depth into a repair on my own I have taken pictures at virtually every step and will post some when I have finished.
If anyone can think of something I may have missed or should check, please shout. Thanks.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
While you have it striped that far check the vacuum hoses too.

That is not the first clamp that was found loose at the T-stat.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...The end of the "Y" that connects to the thermostat, was not connected to the thermostat. From the top looking down I could see into the thermostat bowl. The clamp is sitting down around the neck of the bowl. The hose had blown off. I need to quit for the night.
My next step is to get at the thermostat and replace it. I will have to take it out to check it anyway but I assume it was not releasing and that is what caused the hose to come off...
You do not need to remove or replace your thermostat. The problem is just that the hose popped off, which is a problem commonly caused by there being a (very hard to see) clear layer of tape around the neck of the thermostate, which allows the hose to slide over time.

Use a razer blade to lightly scrape the tape away... you won't believe it's there until you scrape for a bit, but then it will peal off like scotch tape. Then re-seat the big Y-hose, being sure that it sets all the way down agains the 3(?) stops molded into the neck of the thermostat... Done deal!

Bonus points for doing the same tape-removal-operation on the radiators, which also tend to come undone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.