Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a coolant leak. the bike was garaged for a while, when i flushed the radiator and refilled it, it leaks when the bike runs. Could it just be a bad cap or what else should i check?

you have all been really helpful in answering my many questions. I am just trying to give this bike enough TLC to get it to carry me across America. It all started from a dumb idea, now i got my license a month ago and have been practicing every day. Sept 2 is when me and my roomy, for better or wose, and yes, on the same 84 aspencade, are taking off with only a hope and a tent. We are going to try to talk our way into places to stay and hopefully some meals, but we figure that is part of the adventure. What else could two college grads ask for than a shoddy but hopefully reliable wing and a stretch of highway in a beautiful land! Any tips about that as well?

thanks,

Anthony:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Gotta be a little more specific

Where is it leaking from?

Rad? take off and have rad shop pressure test it

Rad cap same as above

hoses Upper lower? Don't fool around they are cheap; replace them; walk into any auto supply with old one and get a length ;saw in half or to fit don't forget new clamps end of story

overflow tank? Filled to much? it will stop or take some coolant out

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

ccsailor is asking the question we need to know. Where is the leak coming from? Is it from the radiator area or on top of the engine? You may have to take off the top cover (faux tank) to check the radiator cap, it's easy to get it on cocked. I'd suspect the cap being on wrong since if the bike wasn't leaking before being flushed. Go back over every place you undid something, odds are it was something you did while flushing.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yeah, but it was also garaged and pretty much empty. THe water from where i can see it at this point, is dripping off from behind the radiator. So some how it is running from somewhere wehre it can drip off of the engine, right by the oil filter cover.

:(

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Time to take the lower fairings off and remove 2 lower rad bolts. Pull rad out about 1/2 inch (should be enough play in your hose for this) and have a good look with a flashlight

still sounds like rad? rad cap or hoses

Neil

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Anthony, When I first got my 84 It had a slight leak also. Before you go too far, check to see that the overflow tube from the catch tank bottle back to the Rad is not leaking. I fixed mine with a small hose clamp. If you need new rad. hoses, both the upper and lower can be made by cutting NAPA hose # 7733 into two pieces. Use the old hoses as a guide. I would not set off on some long adventure with a coolant leak. I also would not go with old tires or worn brakes. You might want to give the old girl the once over before setting out. Best of Luck!

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

That's a good place to start George. The sily wire clip on the overflow tube is a likely cause. Also the main rad hoses. pulling the rad out a bit will make it easier to see whats happening.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

.......new antifreeze solution will often make a "good" hose clamp connection /forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif start to leak... From your desc... I think the upper rad hose which has TWO  clamps on it/forums/images/emoticons/sad.gif ... ... you can get at one of the upper hose clamps from the side if the lowers are off... the other ... sadly ... I think .. you must remove the rad itself/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif... opening up even more possibilities  for "New " leaks./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/gunhead.gif.. unscrew the rad  lower bolts, and get in there with a mechanics mirror,and  a flashlight,and see if you can figure out which hose clamp might be leaking.... SilverDave./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One good thing about the coolant is that it doesn't dry very fast so you should be able to trace it's origin. If it's leaking from behind the radiator the cap, expansion drain tube and expansion bottle are possibilities. Also the crossover tubes on top of the engine are common sources of leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.