·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello to all,

This forum has been a blessing for me since I bought my 92 aspencade back in
May....well now I have changed the timing belts as a I didn't know when they
were done and I am glad I did because they look like the original and were getting
brittle..42k on the bike....now I have a coolant leak on the floor right in the middle
of the bike, just a few drops and I noticed a coolant smell the other day....the main
hose coming from the water pump to the bottom of the radiator looks new and is very
pliable..the two small (bypass?) hoses look original with the original factory type
clamps on them...could I have loosened them at the other end when I took off the timing cover???? I don't see a leak by the pump...so the big question...how do I
get to the other end of the small hoses and where is the hoses that come out of
the top of the radiators go????

Thanks
BIll

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Reading the instructions page for changing timing belts, I don't see how any coolant hoses would get disturbed. Did you check the metal crossover pipes on top of the engine?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

seems there are two small hoses that I thought ran out of the water pump and run up in front of the timing cover...since I just changed the belts and now I have a leak..I thought it might be the other end of those hoses or the hoses themselves...I don't even see how you get to the top of the motor...any ideas???
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

There are 2 removable covers tothe left, and right of handlebars. Carefully remove the one on the right as you sit on the bike. Careful not to break the tabs. You should be able to see the overflow bottle then. Check the hose that goes from bottle to radiator. You might be able to see coolant leaking at the hose connection on top of overflow bottle. The siphon tube breaks where it comes out sometimes. People have also had trouble with the hose connections themselves. The factory used tape on the ends, and didn`t remove them when assembling the bike.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ok I will check them out....I hope it is something as simple as that....
Thanks
Bill

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Ok. well I checked the overflow and all looks good...will be taking the lower plastic off tomorrow...we will see...
Bill

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

The two (~1/2") hoses coming from the water pump go up to the carb... It's unlikely that they are the source of the leak.

More common sources are:
1. The tube connecting the radiator fill cap, to the reserve tank.
2. The cross-over-tube connecting both radiators to one-another.
3. The Y-tube above the thermostat.
4. The Upper & Lower tubes to each radiator.

That being said, the easiest way to figure out which one it is would be to open up the bike... Removing at least one of the radiator fan housings give very good access to items 3-4.

If you find that item's 3 & 4 are the problem, then while you're there, be sure to fully remove the hose... then remove the (hard to see) clear tape present on the mating metal nipple, prior to re-installation.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Tom..you may be right after all......took a ride and came back with no leak....took off the lower fairing and found nothing....checked the overflow tank hose that runs from radiator fill cap to the resevoir and found the top of the tube in the overflow tank was ripped...I guess its leaking there...going to honda and find a new one...

Bill

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

billjhs wrote:
...checked the overflow tank hose that runs from radiator fill cap to the resevoir and found the top of the tube in the overflow tank was ripped...I guess its leaking there...going to honda and find a new one...
> I assume you are talking about Item-9, in which case, also replace Item#4... it typically fails around the same time,and will cause the engine to overheat.

TUBE, LEVEL 19108-MB0-010 (replaces19108-MB0-000)

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Went to the dealer and ordered a new one...8 big ones....lol...I siliconed the old one and I will go for a ride tomorrow and see if it leaks...
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Item 4 is a common area for a leak. I have replaced that siphon tube on my last bike before. Whenever I put in a new air filter I check that connection. It will get a green crusty appearace if it leaks.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

item 2 can crack and mist you at high speeds and overheat the eng.....i tore mine all apart and was mystified to find only this simple elbow was fractured...put a brass one in.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

This is good info. I've developed a small leak that has had me scratching my head. I'll be checking this out to see if it's the cause of my problem.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

well I replaced the tube today and now I want to replace #2 the elbow...couldn't find a brass one any where in my area....will be going to a plumbing supply house tomorrow sometime and will let you all know the results....
Bill

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

well, I couldn't find a 90 degree brass fitting with hose barbs..so I used 2 straight and one elbow to make my own fitting...works fine just clears the wires under there from lock to lock...as a matter of fact the hose barb fits way down inside the tube so it will never leak or have a stress point at the top of the new level tube...looks like its fixed...
thanks for all the help....
Bill

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

Alex please explain why if the level tube fails this would cause the engin to overheat.
After reading this topic I took a look at mine & low & behold my level tube is split also.
I have orderd a new part.
What a great site this is!!!Thaks to all of you.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Keith Davidson wrote:
...explain why if the level tube fails this would cause the engin to overheat...
> Whenever the engine cools off (typically when parked), the vacuum in the cooling system draws coolant from the Reserve Tank... just like a soda through a straw.

If however any of the hoses (from radiator filler neck to reserve tank) have a hole in them, then the cooling system will draw Air instead... leaving the coolant level Low, in the radiators... That in-turn will allow the bike to overheat faster than if the coolant system were topped off.

(eg A half-pot of water will heat up faster, and remain hotter, than a full pot)

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

Alex thank you for coming back to me with an explanation so quickly.
You learn somthing new every day on this site - well almost. Thanks again.
Keith

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.