Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 1984 GL 1200 Interstate ("Miss Evelyn") has started dribbling coolant out the weep hole under the water pump. In checking previous posts here it appears I need to pull and replace the water pump. She has just over 72,000 km on her.

I've got the Clymer Manual and my buddy is faxing me the appropriate pages from his Haynes Manual, but are there any tips I should know that the manuals don't give. Sometimes experience is better than pictures.

We've only had our lady for 3 weeks but my wife and I have put almost 2000 km on her with our weekend rides and we love it !!!

By the way, any ideas why the clock would reset itself? The radio is a Panasonic (from an Aspencade I believe) and everything else works fine but theclock reset itself twice yesterday. Hasn't done it in the previous 3 weeks and suddenly twice??The radio works fine and all other electrics seem to be OK.

Thanks

Todd

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Clock on mine resets itself after every battery interruption... were you checking the battery fluid ?  if    not... you might have a loose connection on the acc box... pull the "Clock" fuse, and turn it around, and re-insert it..                                                                                                              The re- and Re of the water pump is fairly fast ,if you have any wrenching experience... Get a complete set of the "O-Rings" , and some never hardening gasket compound, and lay out your bolts on the workbench in order, as you dis-assemble(2 or 3 different lengths , I think )  .......... the hardest part is cleaning the  old gasket  off the facing... the second hardest part is keeping all those channel collets, and o-rings in place whilst you re - assemble the front. I eventually wound up using a small dab of grease on each to hold everything.... Don't forget to refill with Silicate free antifreeze... and I think the neutral  and gear indicator light sw is in there ,too... check thats its in neutral when it says its in neutral... the "fingers" of the switch can get displaced..    have fun.. its a one beer break job..                                 SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Honda Type II silicate free coolant is available easily from all Honda car dealers, don't use coolant that has silicates, if you have doubts then get the Honda stuff. Use new gasket on the front engine cover and make sure you scrapa all the old gasket off.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

toddz240 wrote:
By the way, any ideas why the clock would reset itself? The radio is a Panasonic (from an Aspencade I believe) and everything else works fine but theclock reset itself twice yesterday. Hasn't done it in the previous 3 weeks and suddenly twice??The radio works fine and all other electrics seem to be OK.
Thanks Todd
Any momentary interruption of power to the clock will cause it to reset, sounds like you've got a bad contact or poor connection somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Rattle the + (hot ) connection around a bit... (They can work loose,if they don't have a starry washer under them)... and check not only the  (-) ground post connection, but.... the woven ground strap connection.. hidden behind the left triangular engine mount .. can get loose, and / or corroded  SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.