Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good Day, It seems that every time I get a chance to work on my 1500 SE I discover another problem. I have a coolant leakbut cannot find it. Luckily it is not leaking around the water pump. I appears to be behind the fan on the left side.

I am considering adding thatcoolant repair (without silicate) stuff to see if the leak will seal.Has anyone had any success using this coolant/radiator repair in a can?

Thanks Blackhat

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

Just remember, The stuff PLUGS holes.

With this in mind, It will ALSO plug your thermostat and radiator cores in time.

You are better off tearing into it instead and finding the hole. I hate seeing warped heads from high heat (which may happen) caused by a Plugged$3 thermostat on a $15,000 bike due to a shortcut or simple fix.

Just my .02 Cents

Wouldnt want to see your bike on the side of the road.

Randy.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Thats great service, :clapper: a reply in 9 mins. :clapper:That must be a record. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Blackhat wrote:
I am considering adding thatcoolant repair (without silicate) stuff to see if the leak will seal.Has anyone had any success using this coolant/radiator repair in a can?

Thanks Blackhat
I'd also advise against any miracle in a can. It might be worth using on the road to get you home, but I wouldn't trust it or long. The stuff can always let go even when it works. No peace of mind here.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Blackhat wrote:
Good Day, It seems that every time I get a chance to work on my 1500 SE I discover another problem. I have a coolant leakbut cannot find it.
Good day, eh? Hello to the Great White North.

No! Impossible! A Honda Goldwing with problems :cheeky1:Yeah we all rag on them but also love them.

Id fix it right, not seal it and try to find the root cause in case its something more serious so it cant get out of hand. Those GL engines are very precise engineering and manufacturing and Id wonder what causes such a thing to happen.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

might just be a worn out cap too

Mine was worn and leaked down the motor and dripped off the left side under the heated pressure, Plus the overflow hose leaked too. New cap and leak gone.

Start looking there first, Radiator caps have rubber under them that breakdown with heat and fuel related products.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

One thing I have come across occasionally is a hose clamp that has been overtightened and it has pinched the rubber hosedown so much that it can no longer seal. The clamp will feel tight, but, it's actually bottomed out through the rubber and leaves a small area unable to seal. A simple fix is to loosen the clamp and rotate it about 1/8 of a turn so that the base of the screw portion of the clamp can be set over a thickersection of the rubber hose.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

No harm using sealer to get you home, butas you are already at homeI'd be inclined to check where precisely the leak is coming from as rad sealer never lasts permanently.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the advise. Winter is still in Canada and I have time to look for the leak.

Blackhat

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

On some 1500s the large radiator hoses don't seal as well as they might because there's a tape-like substance between the hose and the neck on which they mount. Bummer, but can be tightened up to seal if that's where the leak is.

On the other hand, I just replaces a leaky gasket at the thermostat on my '88. It's a rubber seal that functions like an o-ring, though it's not strictly speaking an o-ring. What a pain in the neck to reach and change. My first indication was a drip from the bottom of the timing belt cover - it ran to that point from behind.

I don't think you'll know till you dig in there to eyeball the possible leak locations. It will be helpful to pressurize the cooling system while you're looking so the leak will be immediately evident.

Jack

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

Its true even on the older wings.

Like when the shop or Previous owner put them on in a way its impossible to reach whil the body parts are on and the tool box housinghas to come off so you can tighten or loosen the overflow hose to the radiator cap.

Because someone put it on backwards ( Tention head towards cooling fan) pointed inwards. That burned my backside a little because I found it leaked there only after already removing and replacing it minutes before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.