Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had an oil leak, just a slow drip at the bottom of the front cover, not the weep hole on my 83 Aspencade 1100. So this winter I decided to fix it myself. While I had thefront cover off I noticed the water pump empeller was loose, so replaced the water pump along with all new O- rings and gaskets,for it and the front cover, every thing went well, so I thought. After getting it all back together it now leaks antifreeze from the weep hole.Do I have to take it all apart and start over againor is there some kind of stop leak I can use? it's a very slow leak, 1 drop an hour type of thing. I appreciate any help you guys out there can give me, I'm a new member, this is a great forum. Thanks

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Does it leak while engine is running or just after it cools off after sitting.

The reason I ask is that ( at least where I live ) it can get down to -10 C in the garage where the bike is kept. I replaced O rings this last winter and when the bike runs its fine but when it cools down ( overnight ) there will be a small puddle.

My guess is that with the extreme temp change, from engine running to cooling down in the cold garage, there is too much contraction/expansion going in the metal of the pump & front case for the big O ring on the pump to handle. I'm waiting for riding season to see if it clears up. I've read of others having small leak at this hole after a pump change that lasted for a couple of hundred miles or so.

I'll wait & see. No water getting by the pump seals just a small occasional drip after bike has cooled down in the garage.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

i have discover the same problem with my '96 se. i have driven it about 300 miles with no prblem and after running it the garage the other night i found a small puddle under the front cover. my question is are the cooling systems on these models fairly dependable or are there things taht need to be checked on a regular basis? also i have no manual so where do you check the coolant level?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

My 1100 leaves a little coolant on the garage floor after a ride in my unheated garage, and it also seems worse when it is cold out, but while running cant see it leaking anywere, when I check coolant it rarely needs any so it most be doing something like what your talking about, I dont know what (if anything) I should do. Just wanted to say maybe it is something common to these engines, huh? bigdaddy

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Martyrseno wrote:
I had an oil leak, just a slow drip at the bottom of the front cover, not the weep hole on my 83 Aspencade 1100. So this winter I decided to fix it myself. While I had thefront cover off I noticed the water pump empeller was loose, so replaced the water pump along with all new O- rings and gaskets,for it and the front cover, every thing went well, so I thought. After getting it all back together it now leaks antifreeze from the weep hole.Do I have to take it all apart and start over againor is there some kind of stop leak I can use? it's a very slow leak, 1 drop an hour type of thing. I appreciate any help you guys out there can give me, I'm a new member, this is a great forum. Thanks
For a systemthat is a few years oldthe O rings and ceramic seals have taken a bit of a Set I agree with the others that extended periods of sitting and very cold temps can generate some seepagethat is not normally a concern.

However

On a system that has just been rebuilt including the pump and all O Rings there should be no leakage. Were this mine it would be coming back apart. Odds are you rolled or cut a O Ring somewhere in your installtion.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I'm with whiskerfish on this.... I think you shaved some rubber off the bigger o-ring when putting the pump back into the front cover. If ANY rubber gets shaved off that oring..... it will leak.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I think you have to live in a cold climate like I and others do to appreciate what happens to vehicles in winter.

I've had brand new GMC trucks leak coolant at the thermostat housing because one part was aluminum & the other part was cast iron. Only happened in winter. You could replace the gasket but it never changed.

The pump housing is a different metal compsition than the cast front cover. The O ring is in a tough spot as the metals are not going to expand & contract at the same rate. Also using type 2 coolant with no silicate probably doesn't help the situation either. The silicate had a good side in that it filled small leaks.

If it continues and still leaks in summer I'll change the O ring.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

"I think you have to live in a cold climate like I and others do to appreciate what happens to vehicles in winter. "

I saw -24F this last winter....... I think that qualifies me.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Keep an eye on the fluid colours as well. Water / coolant in the oil will make it milky. Oil in the antifreeze may show as a scum.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question, I put a thin layer of grease on the big O-ring around the water pump, this helped it go in the front cover real easy, so I don't think the O- ring is nicked or twisted, but could this be the problem. Thanks again. Also the temp. in the garage has not gone below 0 cel. since new pump installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.