Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 1500 trike
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this trike .Couldnt test ride because clutch master cyl leaked real bad .Started up no problems but was pouring gas out under air cleaner .So I rebuilt carbs new clamps on all hoses for gas and water at carbs.Now I could run it .Still no clutch but can start and let run .Filled radiator and started .Ran good then started running rough .Saw leak out of small hole in left tail pipe .no cross over or mufflers straight pipes .its a trike .Took a few minutes but warmed up to half way on temp gauge and stayed there .I let run 10 min or more still had drip out tail pipe . Shut off let cool down and pulled plugs on left side .Did look in radiator before while warming up no bubbles .plugs were all dark and fouled had film like coo lant on all 3 . Question is there a coolant line hooked to intake manifold that could leak coolant into all 3 cyl?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Generally if there is coolant in the cylinders the plugs will look clean from the steam.
Yes there is coolant in the intake manifolds. Pretty rare leak path except to the outside via a rotted core plug.
Pressure test the cooling system to locate any leaks.
Helps to know what bike. Carbs + 3 cyl a side I would say GL1500, but the year might help.

·
Registered
88 1500 trike
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally if there is coolant in the cylinders the plugs will look clean from the steam.
Yes there is coolant in the intake manifolds. Pretty rare leak path except to the outside via a rotted core plug.
Helps to know what bike. Carbs + 3 cyl a side I would say GL1500, but the year might help.
Sorry its a 1988 1500

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Hmm interesting idea

1 - 4 of 4 Posts