Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On a recent post I stated that my 1500 SE had a coolant link and was curious about using the plug stop. The gurus out there gave that idea a quick thumbs down. Upon further investigation I found the likely leak. It was the rubber hose leading into the coolant reservoir had a crack. The guys at Honda told me that the rubber hose was constantly sucking and blowing coolant - problem solved.

I am interested in over pressurizing the coolant system to confirm the system. Do any of the gurus have a DIY method to over pressurize the coolant system to check for leaks.

Thanks Blackhat.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi blackhat,

I posted a reply not long ago, I had exactly the same problem took me ages to find it. The DIY method I used was, using a portable air compressor with gauge (for pumpingup tyres)and the connection used for pumping up inflatable balls.

Disconnect one of the small bore hoses, the one to the expansion tank is ideal,you can leave the coolant in the system any leaks will be obvious! And plug the hose with the connection.

Start the pump but watch the pressure as it will increase rapidly,you don't want to rupture the cooling system. Whenthetest/ systempressure is reached, stop the pump. The pressure should be maitained and will only drop if you havea leak.

This worked for me and is similar to the test roadside recovery people use, if you had a low pressure pump it would be alot safer.

Be warned, if you over pressure the system too much a whole lot of other problems will come your way, new head gaskets, mechanical seals anyone!!

good luck

Johno

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Blackhat :waving:

There you were calling for a "Guru" to solve your problem :whip: and along comes JOHNO who is just an ordinary Member :stumped:and solves your problem for you better than any "Guru" :jumper:Well done JOHNO. These "Gurus" are way over rated. :crying:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Johno's method might work, but I'd use a bicycle pump instead. Be very careful that you don't overpressurize the system... like Johno said, you could do more harm than good.

You'll have much more control with a hand-operated bicycle pump.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I second the use of a hand pump of some type, you need a low pressure gauge to see if the system leaks down too. I'd suggest a hand vacuum/pressure pump, they are sold at most auto parts stores. They are useful for other chores and a good item for tool box.

:goofygrin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.