Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Let me re-introduce myself as someone with very little aptitude for mechanical things, and zero aptitude for all things electrical...

I had my bike up on the center stand for a few days, and my buddy saw a small formation of coolant on the top of the engine on the left side, in that little valley. I checked the coolant levels, which were low, so i added more coolant. I took the bike off the center stand, checked it the next day, and did not see any coolant. (Apparently it was probably still leaking, but just dribbling down since the bike was on the kickstand)

If the coolant was actually forming on TOP of the engine, is a hose probably loose somewhere? If it was a seal or gasket, wouldn't it be coming out of the actual engine itself?

Hoping for a rough idea of what to expect when someone who actually has a clue looks at it.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

have you ever heared of a cold weather leak ? up in your neck of the woods when the temp drops in to colder weather any weak sealing will show up.most of the time a snuging up of a clamp or O ring replacement will cure it. from what you are saying is one of the O rings on the head cross over tube is weak . i would replace both ends ( O rings ) on left side. i you get them from mother honda , get the head gasket for the elbow too. some times they get distrded or torn when you take out the tube. just my 2.5 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Regrettably, I have NOT heard of a cold weather leak. It was in the 40's this morning, and admittedly, this problem didn't manifest itself until the weather dropped. (Its been in the high 80's for weeks)

That makes me feel great. My greatest fear was jumping back to 10 replies of "head gasket!"

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

just for kicks , look inside you over flow tank and see if there is any oil in there. should not have any.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Please refer to post #1 ;)

What is an overflow tank, and where do i find it?

(In retrospect, me having a 1980 motorcycle is very similar to having a nuclear fission reactor in my garage. I bought it when it was in excellent condition, because I realize that maintaining it is beyond my current skill set, though I'm trying to learn. It gets inspected an a "Thorough preventative checkup" every year from the mechanic, whom I trust)

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

open top of false tank , like you getting gas , remove tool tray , if its still there , look to the right upper corner , see the black plastic screw on cap , un screw it , hard to get to if your hands are like mine , useing a flash lite point it in the hole and see if you can see any dark patches as seen from the out side of the tank.
over flow tank is the same as the resviore tank .

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Gotcha! Thanks. I was in there this morning, as I was going to add more coolant. I don't remember seeing any black smudges or spots, so this is great news.

You made my day!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i hope you are not over filling it. if you do it will push it out and depening on the condition of the over flow (vent) hose drain out underneath the bike. the tank is marked as to level .
also--- do you have any manuale for your bike ? these are a great help when your just wanting to know things. i like the honda one best. they come up every once in a while for sale.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
i hope you are not over filling it. if you do it will push it out and depening on the condition of the over flow (vent) hose drain out underneath the bike. the tank is marked as to level .
also--- do you have any manuale for your bike ? these are a great help when your just wanting to know things. i like the honda one best. they come up every once in a while for sale.

You know what... i bet that's it. I'm a moron and topped it off to the verytop of the "full" line, and then leaned the bike over on the kickstand...

Owe you a beer if you're ever up in Pittsburgh for a sporting event.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Well, the good news is that I got home and started the bike up, with not a single drop of coolant leaking out.

The bad news is that i don't see any visible coolant in the reservoir, but there has to be enough left in there to stop the engine from heating up. I ran it for about a half hour, in the driveway, up to the mall, back, etc, and it's as hot as it always is, which isn't hot at all.

I dunno.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

when your bike is warmed up the overflow tank will be fuller than when the bike is cold I think.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

samk wrote:
when your bike is warmed up the overflow tank will be fuller than when the bike is cold I think.
yes thats right. as the bike cools down it draws coolant back into the syestem. thats why the tank is marked about half way. thats the cold level.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.