Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why do they put the silicates in the antifreeze? What purpose do they serve, And why doesn't it tear up my car waterpump like it is supposed to tear up my wing waterpump?:?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
why do they put the silicates in the antifreeze? What purpose do they serve, And why doesn't it tear up my car waterpump like it is supposed to tear up my wing waterpump?:?
Contrary to popular belief, silicates are in the coolant to protect components.
The problem is, coolant with silicates needs to be changed at least every two years. After a period of time, the silicates fall out of solution, and start doing damage. (grit/gelling/hot spots)
That's why manufacturers have gone to "long life" coolants. Check the jug. Just about every long life coolant is silicate free.
I used plain old green antifreeze in my '79 wing. Changed it regularly, and never had a problem. That was before I knew about the dangers of silicates in my Honda. Good thing me and the bike were too stupid to know any better.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Silicates are actually very fine sand that contain silicone. Silicates are abrasive (I have used silica sand for sandblasting) and their purpose is to circulate with the coolant, and keep rust and corrosion from building up in the coolant passages. They work about the same way as sandblasting. Their abrasiveness cleans crap off the walls of the coolant passages.

Silica sand is mostly what we have here in the AZ desert, and it also chews up the 0-rings on dirt bike chains in short order, which is why I always used non 0-ring chains on dirt bikes.

They worked fine in older cars, and many older liquid cooled motorcycles, which had a different kind of water pump seal. They actually chew up the newer types of seals. The water pump seal is the ONLY component in a motorcycle cooling system that silicates can damage.

I'm adding this as my own opinion, but based on experience. If there is anything worse for your engine than coolant with silicates in it, it is the new OAT (organic acid technology) and HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) coolants, of which GM DEXCOOL is one. It is orange in color. It does not contain any silicates, but it will do serious damage to your entire cooling system, not just the water pump seals. It coats the entire inside of the cooling system with a muddy brown waxy substance, which flushing will not remove. Over a few years, it builds up to the point where it starts to plug things up. It can also damage certain types of gaskets. I first found out about it when I bought a 2001 Chevy that had the stuff in it. It was running hot, and I noticed the intake manifold gaskets were seeping a bit. I changed the coolant, and found the brown waxy stuff on the inside of the reservoir and inside the hoses. It still ran hot. That's when I started doing research on the stuff. I wound up replacing my radiator and thermostat, flushing the system thoroughly, and putting plain Prestone in it. I cut up the old radiator, and found it mostly plugged with this waxy crap. The thermostat was also coated with it. I've changed the "green" coolant 3-4 times since then, and it always comes out brown. I hope the silicates are slowly removing this stuff. At least the engine runs at normal temperature now, there have been no water pump leaks, and some Bars stop leak stopped the gasket seepage. Hopefully I will be able to wear the car out with no more cooling system problems.

But, I definitely cannot recommend putting anything but "green" coolant in your bike. You can get it made for motorcycles, with no silicates, but without that awful brown waxy stuff in it. I would not put ANY automotive coolant into a motorcycle. Before you do, do some research on DEXCOOL.

OBTW, there was a class action lawsuit against GM over this stuff, GM lost, but before any payoff, they filed for bankruptcy, getting them out of it. They did change the formulation of it, and I don't really know anything about the new stuff. Hasn't been out long enough. It is a red color. But the DEXCOOL you buy at the auto parts store is still the old orange stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
To the last post: Ummm.... Ok...

To the OP: It has been my experience that even with HONDA coolant the HONDA waterpump will fail. Treat it like your timing belts.

Bill

·
Registered
93 Posts
JerryH:

I disagree with you. The new organic acid technology does not harm your cooling system. How do I know? I was curious after buying a gallon of Peak Global Life time 50/50 for my Gl1500 which is silicate free and organic acid technology, so I contacted the manufacturer and spoke with a chemist. He indeed said it is free of silicates, but does not contain a waxy ingredient like we may have been familiar with in GM Dex cool and is also a completely different technology then Dex-Cool. The Peak Global 50/50 meets Jaso specs and is safe for Honda or Japanese motorcycles. It is also amber in color. I would have to believe the chemist from the manufacturer.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
JerryH:

I disagree with you. The new organic acid technology does not harm your cooling system. How do I know? I was curious after buying a gallon of Peak Global Life time 50/50 for my Gl1500 which is silicate free and organic acid technology, so I contacted the manufacturer and spoke with a chemist. He indeed said it is free of silicates, but does not contain a waxy ingredient like we may have been familiar with in GM Dex cool and is also a completely different technology then Dex-Cool. The Peak Global 50/50 meets Jaso specs and is safe for Honda or Japanese motorcycles. It is also amber in color. I would have to believe the chemist from the manufacturer.

DexCool is what I was referring to, and what came in my car. GM STILL calls it DexCool, even after all the damage, lawsuits, and bad publicity caused by DexCool. What they are using now in their new vehicles is different from the original DexCool, and I don't know much about it. But the original DexCool was a nightmare, and I just happened to buy a car that came with it without knowing it. Prestone still sells the stuff, it says GM DEXCOOL right on the jug.

I have used both Maxima Coolanol (GREEN ethylene glycol, silicate free) and something called Engine Ice in my '02 Vulcan 750 for nearly 80,000 miles without any problems. I change it at least every 2 years, but usually more often. Cooling system looks brand new, even the reservoir is spotless.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree with you on the Dexcool. We had a GMC Van with Dexcool and 50,000 miles on it and went thru 2 head gaskets within 20,000 miles. The DexCool was like brown sludge when drained out. The mechanic finally just removed all the Dexcool and put in regular green antifreeze and 50,000 later with no issues. DexCool was evil and destroyed gaskets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.