Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While working on my carbs, I noticed I had coolant sitting ontop of the left head. It appears to be leaking from the tube that goes from the head to the thermastat housing. How do I fix this ? I only have a clymer manuel which is not very good for some of the repairs you need to make on a oldie but goodie(1981 GL1100)

Thanks Bear

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

It's probably either the O ring gone bador the end of the aluminium tube that the ring sits in is rotted. Undo the bolts holding the pipe capo dwon abd pull the cap off to have a better look. Its better if youdrain some coolant off first as you will lose some when you undo the pipe.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Yeah, them o-rings aren't designed to last forever. You have to take off the little elbow on top of the head, and the tubes come out. Put in new o-rings, and make sure you put a dab of lube on them first, and then re-assemble them with a new gasket on each side.

There was a guy on ebay selling a kit with all 4 o-rings and both gaskets for $6, but I can't find his listing anymore.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I had to go to the local dealer and order the gaskets and o rings, he had one gasket and 2 orings in stock, ordered the other 2. I tried to find a local hydraulics place but they were all closed by the time I needed them so paid more at the dealer at least iwill have them waiting when I get back home next week. THen to put the beast back togather

THanks for the info!

Bear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.