Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Everone,

Thinking of changing plugs on my 98 GL1500SE which has 41,000 on it. Going to Sturgis next week from East Coast. Someone told me to go to DPR8EA9 plugs which the manual says are for "extended high speed riding" Or should I stick with the standard DPR7EA9 plugs? Any Thoughts??

Thanks,

Mike V

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I have done endless miles on my "7's"  with no problem...and I think most wings run well on those...  Extended High Speed driving would mean around 100 mph for days ,and days....  and I presume you will stop eventually...  the mechanics test is whether the plugs,and the plug gap has changed  bu a measurable amount after 2 or 3 days...if you wear out plugs  by your driving style.. then change to a "hotter"  but I think the "7's" will get you there... and ... lol.... about half way back ... Big Grin SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi SilverDave,

Thanks for the reply on the plugs. Got a quick question for you! I am planning on entering Canada from the States next week on my way to Minnesotta. Someone told me you need a special document to get into Canada with a bike now which proves you have insurance?? Is an insurance card and registration enough or do you need somthing special??

Thanks,

Mike V

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mvasil54 wrote:
I am planning on entering Canada from the States next week on my way to Minnesotta. Someone told me you need a special document to get into Canada with a bike now which proves you have insurance?? Is an insurance card and registration enough or do you need somthing special??

Mike V
Registration and proof of insurance should be enough for the bike, but personal ID requirements are a Driver's license, birth certificate or passport. You can use an expired passport until Dec. '06 or maybe it's '07. Most of the problem is gettin back into the US.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I was told by a friend who made a trip in the spring that you now need a document from the insurance company and the border officials won't take a faxed copy either---it has to be an original!

Mike V

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

mvasil54 wrote:
Hi Everone,

Thinking of changing plugs on my 98 GL1500SE which has 41,000 on it. Going to Sturgis next week from East Coast. Someone told me to go to DPR8EA9 plugs which the manual says are for "extended high speed riding" Or should I stick with the standard DPR7EA9 plugs? Any Thoughts??

Thanks,

Mike V
Mike, if you have had the 7's in it for 41,000 miles with no problems then they are probably working OK. If you change out to the 8's & get caught in that dreaded stop & go (well mostly stopped) traffic in Sturgis those colder plugs could be a problem.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

The 9's are a wast of time Mike. You won't nitice any difference at all. Many of us have doon hundreds of miles a day on teh 7 & 8 plugs and never had a problem. The 9's make for inconsistent idling around town.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

I went to Canada on july 2nd 05. All i was asked for crossing the border either way was my drivers licence. Before i went i called the border office here to ask what i need for crossing as i was told you need a passport and some special insurance paper. The guy on the phone told me Picture ID that is gov. issued nowand you will need a passport starting in 2009. There was 6 bikes in our group and all were just asked for picture id.

Pat

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

.. Quick News flash ... the border guards are demanding   DPR 8's or 9's,  as well as Fram filters,and Rotella T synthetic oil../forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif................. LOLOLOLOL .............Silver /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif             /forums/images/emoticons/extrasmilies/doh.gif/forums/images/emoticons/extrasmilies2/arguing.gif.... nah ! just fooling ya !!.. the Fram is only on the return  back to the USA...

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

wings4life wrote:
The 9's are a wast of time Mike. You won't nitice any difference at all. Many of us have doon hundreds of miles a day on teh 7 & 8 plugs and never had a problem. The 9's make for inconsistent idling around town.
I'd agree with that. Even at around 70mph a GL1500 engine is barely breathing and the stock plugs just keep going. I havn't heard of idling problems with the DPR9's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.