Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Seems to run excessive warm. Water pump replaced, themostat replaced, new coolant. Ran great 200 miles or so, then back warm again. 3/4 on the guage. fan is running. what do I check next? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

welcome to the board. What year bike do you have? Get it recently or had it a long time, how many miles, and when did this problem start. All of this (and other info) may allow us to help as you will find there is lots of experience on the board

once again welcome

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Greetings from a fellow forum member Wide Open Wagon Driver. Check for a build-up of pressure in the system, you can do this by squeezing the hoses. If they get rock hard when the engine warms up then you might have a head gasket in early stages of failure. You seem to already have replaced or checked the usual suspects. :waving:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The Bike is a 1983 Interstate. I've had it since new. Pushed a sidecar for many miles it ran a little warmer than without but never excessive. Has 139k miles is in pretty good shape. The pressure buildup sounds like a potential problem. Could the radiator cap be suspect? Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The rad cap is worth a look, but they usually fail open (making the engine run cooler). The hoses wouldn't get rock hard if the cap failed, this is only caused by a compression leak into the coolant tracts.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Wide Open Wagon Driver!:waving:

Are you losing any antifreeze? When my head gasket went, it started out by running warmer than normal. I pulled over and checked the overflow tank and it was FULLER than it should have been becausepressure was bleeding through from the head gasket into the coolant system.As the bike cooled down it sucked coolant from the overflow tank into the radiator. It wasn't long after that it started blowing steam out the right side exhaust pipe.

I think the temp gauge sensor and the fan temp sensor are two separate sensors. If the gauge is reading high and the fan is staying on, it probably is running hot and not a bad sensor. I could be wrong about that though.

Could be you need to take the radiator out and have it cleaned.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

with the pump and thermostat replaced (first places I would look) makes you wonder. A failed cap will not hold pressure so you would expect leaking coolant. A bike running too lean will overheat, might wish to look at the spark plugs. Also, crud in the radiator, such as scale and corrosion can prevent heat transfer or good coolant flow.

what kind of hack?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the help! I really need the aid in thinking through problems good to have a way to do that. I've checked the radiator for any crud or scaling nothing obvious. When I opened the drain for the antifreeze there seemed to be plenty of pressure there and the engine had only run for maybe a minute. I'm suspecting it's early sighns of a head gasket. Whats your opinion? Thanks ...... Ed

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Oftena head gasket leaking into a cylinderwill show up on the spark plug end. See if you have one that looks a lot cleaner than the others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.