Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

You check it like a thermostat.

Put a multimeter on it and when its cold you should have no ohm resistance.Then put it in boiling water and check again , if you have resistence with the meter then its good,If no resistence then its bad

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Can it be checked on the bike after it has run and reached operating temp .Do you know what that is. Ican check that with a heat gun.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

If its working properly it should come on about half way in the bikes operating temp range.

If you unplug the connector you can short the wires & the fan should start. That will tell you that the fan is OK. You can take the switch out & test as noted above.

If the fan cycles on & off then its working fine.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

Yes you can do it in the bike if you can get at it.

Test it in bike when cold then test it again when bike is hot enough.

Test with the multimeter the same as you would as if you took it out

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

The thermo switch should be open when the bike is cold and close at about 208-216F

You can if you have reasonably agile fingers remove the plug on the thermo switch from the right side of the engine behind the rad.

Connect an ohm meter between the two pins You should have no continuity when cold and continuity about 208-216 F

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

Hey bikgra, is that a 1000 wing with a harley style fairing attached, that looks good do you have any more pics, I would like to see the seat and bags?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Mike B wrote:
My fan kicks on at halfway every time.1200 interstate.
Possibly your temperature sending unit is sending faulty information to the gauge or your fan switch is faulty.
If the fan switches off again I would suggest the former.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.