Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ok i noticed my cooling fan not working one of the last days i rode. while fixing some other problems i decided to look into it. i found the fan disconnected:?i applied power to the fan and it works great, sounds great. should i be concerned about plugging it back in? is there a common problem with them that would cause some fool to unplug it? i have heard of them not working at all but i havent heard of them staying on:? any input will be appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

is the bike new to you?. some people wire the fans to work all the time. or with a switch. well, the fan plug cant just disconnect itself. most honda connectors have a tab that locks both plugs together, male and female, unless the last time someone worked on it didn't pluged it all the way in.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

ya its new to me...bought about 4 monthes ago. i was hoping that they just fell apart. i guess i will try it out this spring. thanx for the input

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

ya it got hot on me once while i was stuck in traffic but only when i was at idle...i got goingagain and it cooled down. i got home and i parked it for the winter. i wanted to fix this before riding again

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

If the fan was disconnected since you got the bike, then first check for any obvious signs of electric failure (burnt wires, etc.) behind the fan and down the wires which goes to the fan.Ifyou don't find anything thenfind the thermo switch and the two wires whichare connected to it.Disconnect them andtest eachfor power with the ignition switch on.Only one of them should be under power. If none orboth of them havepower then thereis some electric failure somewhere.If only one has power then I would plugeverything (switch and fan) back in and seehow it works. Maybe it will work OK! But, if the fanstarts working too early or (much moredangerous) if the temp gauge goes too high without the fan thenmaybe the switch is bad.Theelectric fan is fed with power through the thermo switch, which is screwed in the water pipe cross, just behind the fan (at least on GL1000 it is located there). When the water temperature reaches the certain level (about 100 degrees of Celsius)the switch should turn on, and when the temp drops back it should turn off. In theory there is a possibility for the switch to stick on, but I think they would more often stick off and cause the engine to overheat. You can test it by removing it out from the bike and puting its bottom end into a pan with water. Then warm up the water until boiling and check for the continuity between the contacts on the switch using an ohmmeter. The continuity should come approximately when the water starts to boil and it should goaway when the temp drops back to around 90 degrees ofCelsius.Ifthe switch is bad you can just connect the fan using the manual switch (you turn it on/off as needed) but better still to change it if it's broken. Oh, if you remove the switch don't foget to drain the coolant first!

Alex

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

sounds like i have tomorrow planned out already. wiring to fan is good but i havent traced from fan harness connection to thermo switch yet. ill try testing the switch in the next couple of days and let ya know

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

One other thing is, (because I did it) when I changed my timing belts, I had to pull the radiator. I thought I had everything put back together. I noticed my temp start climbing and the fan would not come on. It worked before the belt change. After checking fuses, wiring........etc. I went to check the power in the plug on the fan, I hadn't got the rubber boot on the plug over the lip of the other end. Plug fell off when I touched it. Plugged it back end good, and its been working right ever since......just a thought:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

My 1982 fan runs all the time. PO must have done some junior wiring experiments. Have not found the problem, yet. On the otherhand, the bike runs okay and hasn't presented itself as an electrical drain.

In other words, you could hot wire it to run all the time and it probably wouldn't matter.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

i like things as stock as possible but if i have toi'll do some hot wiring....just found some more of the PO "junior wiring experiments" when i came across the wiring for the running lights UUUGGHHH!!!! its a mess:gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Short the two terminals in the fan connector together with the ignition on. If the fan comes on the wiring is okay. Plug the connector into the thermoswitch with the engine at normal temperature and the ignition on, if the fan doesn't work everything's okay so far. Then idle the engine until the temp gauge goes up tothree quarter scale or a bit more and see if the fan comes on. If it does, you have no problem.

I have seen a thermoswitch connector pop off the switch once. If the thing isn't fully seated with the rubber cover all the way on the edge of the rubber can curl under and push the connector loose. When it's properly on it takes a strong pull to get it loose. Someone may not have gotten it seated properly.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

noobrider1

Did anything happene when you reconnected the cooling fan? If you didn't reconnect it, I would try that move first.

Nightrider1

noobrider1 wrote:
ok i noticed my cooling fan not working one of the last days i rode. while fixing some other problems i decided to look into it. i found the fan disconnected:?i applied power to the fan and it works great, sounds great. should i be concerned about plugging it back in? is there a common problem with them that would cause some fool to unplug it? i have heard of them not working at all but i havent heard of them staying on:? any input will be appreciated

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
My 1982 fan runs all the time. PO must have done some junior wiring experiments. Have not found the problem, yet. On the otherhand, the bike runs okay and hasn't presented itself as an electrical drain.

In other words, you could hot wire it to run all the time and it probably wouldn't matter.
I'm not sure if that is sucha good idea, as that could eventually overheat anddamage the fan's electric drive (electro-motor)....just my thought....

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

Do not wire the fan to run continuously. They are not designed to do so. You will cause the fan to eventually fail. The thermostatic fan switch on my Wing has never worked from the day i got. It has been wired with a toggle switch instead. I keep a close eye on the temp gauge and turn the fan on when it gets hot off when it cools down. I haven't had a problem.

At the beginning of the season last year I had a stupid moment and ended up crashing the bike. the crash destroyed the instrument cluster. I replaced it but ever since the temp gauge has refused to work. I made it through the entire year by turning the fan on if I was at idle for long periods of time or in stop and go traffic but leaving it off when riding at steady speeds, and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

i dont think i clarified myself good enough. im someone who wants things like it was when it was new especially when it come to any kind of wiring (seen too manynice vehicles go up in smoke because of faulty wiring). so im going to try to get everything working right... if i cant possibly do that i might run my own wiring to the fan but i would rather not. and i would never let the fan run constantly.i truly do appreciate everyones input

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's pretty much my philosophy with older vehicles too. If they worked right when new there's no reason they shouldn't work right now. There are some things worth doing that are real improvements, such as switching to electronic ignition from points, but jury rigging is only good for emergencies and once you have the machine home it's time to repair it right. Repairing it right means to make it work as it was designed to. A new thermostatic switch isn't going to bankrupt anyone, it lasts longer and costs less than a newtire which most don't mind buying as needed. Motogrid lists the switch for $70.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

exavid wrote:
That's pretty much my philosophy with older vehicles too. If they worked right when new there's no reason they shouldn't work right now. There are some things worth doing that are real improvements, such as switching to electronic ignition from points, but jury rigging is only good for emergencies and once you have the machine home it's time to repair it right. Repairing it right means to make it work as it was designed to. A new thermostatic switch isn't going to bankrupt anyone, it lasts longer and costs less than a newtire which most don't mind buying as needed. Motogrid lists the switch for $70.
i could not have said it better

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I have ridden the 1982 bike for thousands of miles with my fan on all the time. No matter. While I would prefer it run by the thermostat, it at least never overheats.From what I see, the fans last forever. Someday, when I have time, I will tear the bike apart and fix it; or sell it-which ever comes first.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

:Dknowing my luck like i do, if i let the fan run all time time Iwould catch fire within a block:Dthats just my luck. i have had too many bad experiences with just give it a try things...a little shell shocked i guess:pand crabby because of it:Djk

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

Hook everthing back up as stock. Give it a try, the fans don't come on until it is very warm, above 212 F. If I remember right it is 220 F. If you try and test the thermo switch in plain water by heating, it will appear to be not working. You must use antifreeze or oil. If you decide to buy a new switch DO NOT buy one from Saber Cycle as your fans will run all the time. How do I know, been there done that, get an OEM Honda switch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.