Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, let me try again. I wasn't clear with my question and my first post got sent to the market place.

I have my new-to-me '85 1200 Interstate in many pieces for a first look and winter maintenance session. My cooling fan motor makes noise intermittantly, making me suspect some minor wear on the bearing. The thermostat is fine and the cooling system has worked all last summer.

My 2 questions are: A. How reliable have these cooling fan motors been? Being a professional cheapskate, I'd rather put up with the noise for a while than replace it, unless it is doomed to die quickly.

B. IF I do need to replace it, is there a cheaper source for a NEW motor than Mother Honda (NAPA, for example) and what do I ask for? If these motors don't routinely have a good life-span, then I really don't want to waste my time on a used one.

Thanks for any help - Jim

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
imported post

They usually last just about forever since they run very little normally. If the bike was used a lot in city driving or if someone had wired it to run constantly the bearings may be dry. It's a pretty good bet to get a used on off ebay or you might just take it apart, check if the brushes are worn out and if not put a dab of grease in the bearings.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

While you have the rad out you should take it to a rad shop and have them clean and pressure test it.

We'll worth the small amount of money it would cost. They'll also paint it with the proper paint that won't affect cooling.

I had mine done and it looks much better inside and out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.