Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I own a GL 1500 1996. My fans do not go on. I checked out fans they are in working order. My question is what causes the fans to go on after engine heats up? Is it the engine coolant temperature sensor?

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Might I suggest you locate the cooling fan fuse? On my 1200 it is under the seat, and when I was working on it, the thing broke. I didn't realize it until I was in traffic, and the needle started to climb really high! Since it wasn't in the fuse box, I missed it the first time I was looking.

As far as I know, the same sender that feeds your temp guage turns on the cooling fan. How high will your guage rise? All the way to the red zone? On mine, when I am idling in traffic it will point straight up (halfway) at which point the fan kicks on, and it won't rise much more.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

manual said to ground out positive wire and they came on, I was told that there was a coolant temperature sensor for the gauge located below the thermastat and a engine coolant sensor located on the manifold. Looks like I will just have to go to each one and find out problem

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

You might want to take another look at your fuse again. Pull it and use a magnifying glass to see if it's cracked, but not melted. I once spent a a whole day tracking down a bad light switch (wiring continuity, bulbs, connectors etc., etc.) and didn't realize that the fuse actually was bad.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mikea wrote:
I own a GL 1500 1996. My fans do not go on. I checked out fans they are in working order. My question is what causes the fans to go on after engine heats up? Is it the engine coolant temperature sensor?
There are two sensors, the engine coolant temperature sensor is on the front of the right intake manifold. The sending unit is located under the thermostat housing on top of the engine case. I believe that the sending unit is the one thatdrives the temperature gauge. The engine coolant temperature sensoris for the ECU, I believe.The thermostat switch is under the left radiator. Think this the one that controls the fans. My Clymer manual is out in the shop and it's raining right now or I'd go check on that for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

mikea already says the fans are working as he checked them. The fan switch is at fault and it's seperate to the temperature switch.

You will find the fan switch at the bottom of the left radiator. You only need to remove the front fairing cover (behind the forks) to get at the switch. You will lose coolant so it's better to drain it off from the drain screw under the water pump area first.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It was the thermostatic switch, I grounded hot wire and fans work, but I removed it and placed it in a solution of antifreeze and brought it to a high temp, and it failed the test. Thanks for all your suggestions. I found this site by accident, but learned a lot bybrowsing. Hope I can help someone out in the future. Thanks again....

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Just my two cents worth,had you not found the problem being a sensor... low fluid or an air pocket can also show the same effects.

Marty :cool:

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Well done mikea. That switch is one of the few things on the 1500 that is fairly easy to replace. :waving:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.