Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Toolcraft4100
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you. I found it. It’s good. So is #8. If relay #3 or the 55amp fuse was bad, I ASSUME I would have more problems than the temp gauge. The conclusion seems to be a loose connection or a short.

·
It aint rocket science
3,956 Posts
I will also attach a pic of a hose connection on one of the radiators. They were all like this, with a layer of what looked like really thin scotch tape. I don't know what that was, but do I need to apply a lubricant or sealant to these areas when I reassemble?

View attachment 325008
The plastic tape found on the radiator hose attaching tubes were there for all years of production from 1988-2000. If a mistake were made in leaving them on that means every assembly line worker producing these were in error along with the quality control guys not to mention the shipping personnel who ultimately boxed these for shipment to Honda. And on Hondas end the assembly line guys along with the quality control personnel were also in error allowing them to remain on. We are talking dozens if not hundreds of folks seeing this over a twelve year period and nobody said a thing. Not by mistake.
The hot running engines of the early emission age would often tax the cooling system and an unintended result would be radiator hoses using the compounds of that era that literally welded themselves to the radiator outlets requiring them to be cut/sliced for removal. The service manual preferred access to engine components was radiator removal. The plastic tape was put there as an aid to the mechanic during service procedures ensuring no outlet or hose damage during removal. Kudos to the engineers on that one even though it turned problematic after years of service.:)
After this amount of time they are now loose fitting not working as intended, rip them off, clean outlet and install hose.

·
It aint rocket science
3,956 Posts
You will not easily find the true metric sized hose. I prefer to use the Gates heater hose available in 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8".
Can be gotten O'reillys, NAPA, etc.

·
Toolcraft4100
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
After a couple of local chain auto parts stores tried to sell me fuel hose and didn’t understand bulk 3/8” heater hose I went to the junkyard and cut a price off a late model wreck. I should be ready to reassemble.

·
Toolcraft4100
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I reinstalled the radiators and plugged the hoses that go to the carbs. I sucked all the coolant out of the reserve tank and filled the system with distilled water. Then I applied about 20 lbs of pressure and eventually found a wet spot on top of the motor under the thermo valve and behind the #5 spark plug. Like underneath the H or the D tube. But I can’t see evidence of moisture on any of the fittings in this area. I will attach a couple of pics.

·
Toolcraft4100
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I finally got the bike put back together enough to fire it up and let it warm up. My temp guage is working! I followed the troubleshooting path from beginning to end and the only conclusion is that I had a faulty electrical contact somewhere. I took apart and cleaned every connector in both of the groups that are above the fan shrouds. It's amazing how filthy and corroded they were! So faulty electrical connections knocked out my stereo info display on the lcd screen and my temp guage. Both now work!
As for the coolant leak...more amateur, anticlimactic stuff. I tried to plug the hoses that connect to the carbs with 3/8" wooden dowels when I did the pressure test. The right-hand one leaked a little bit. That was the source of the moisture that I found. I dried everything off and plugged the hoses with a more suitable object. I pumped it up to 15 lbs. and spent 30 minutes inspecting every connection. No leaks. My only conclusion is that one of the carb hoses was the source of my original leak. I will reserve final judgement and hang on to the pressure tester until I can ride it several miles.
I feel like I should get a certificate of merit for removing and replacing the fan shrouds (again). If there's a trick I haven't discovered it, but I'm getting better. I reinstalled both the mirrors today in half an hour and I'm proud of that, too!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts