Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1983 Goldwing 44,000 miles. After riding I can let the bike sit for about 10 minutes. When I restart white smoke comes from the right exhaust pipe. The radiator does not boil over and bike does not run hot. Is there anyway for coolant to enter the combustion chamber besides a head gasket leak?Should I continue to ride as it or spend $ 600 to have the head gasket changed

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

if you ride it with a blown gasket you will trash the engine $600 that it a lot for a job you could do yourself (or heck, I'll do it for $300-you supply the parts)

first of all, does the white smoke smell sweet? are you loosing coolant? have you taken off the cap and checked to see if the raditor is not boiling (even if it is not you might have a head gasket leak)

changing a head gasket is not hard, and lots of folks here can work you through it.... also, helps to list your location might be a member just down the street from you

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Jackson, Ms: I did have a mechanic do the basic checks he said that it could be a head gasket leaking into the combustion chamber, plugs are clean, oil is good and no boiling. This i suppose is on the right side. Because it is only comming out of the right exhaust. Is it possible that the bolts need to be re tourqed? If so what does that involve?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

white usually means gasket gone and no amount of retourqing will fix that, usually on a side with a blown head gasket the plugs/plug will look "steamed cleaned". and yes, while there is a cross-over usually the steam blows out the side of bad gasket. I know it has been debated here and on the http://www.nakedgoldwings.com site several times whether, if one side has blown, why not go ahead and replace them both, but I won't get into that.

I beleive there is a good "how-to" on the NGW site about head gasket replacement (you need to be registered to read it) and lots of folks here have done theme as well, and can help you through it.... really not all that hard, actually, one of the advantages of the opposed engine design, it is right there to work on without having to pull an engine.... also, I am sure others might chime in with the things you might also do, as long as you are doing this, timing belts, etc.
do you have a manual?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

No manual here. I did read in a post that the crankcase vent tank could cause the steam. Where would I find that. One guy said he cleaned the gunk form the tank and hose and the problem went away. Oh the mechanic said my plugs show no sign of being steamed. He has been a goldwing mechanic since 1975. Honda sent me to him. Just trying to save a buck and get some ideas here. Thanks a million

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the crank case vent hose comes out of the left rear engine (just rear of the carbs) it goes up to the back of the air intake (allowing any fumes to get sucked into the carbs and burned) and then there is a drain that goes to a weird shaped black catcher just toward the rear lower of the engine on the left.... this "catcher" is to prevent contaimanated moisture from dropping on the street. the whole idea of the breather is to allow the pressure inside the engine (and moisture and fumes) to vent off, if it is plugged the presssure would cause you to burn oil

you really need to get a manual, you really cannot work on anything without one), both clymer and haynes are available (from jc whitney e.g.) I think clymer is better.... also, somewhere on this site there is a link to download the honda shop manual

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Get the service manual for your bike. As for that nasty gunk in the "catcher", just dump it on the ground somewhere.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Keep a very close eye on your oil for any evidence of cross contamination also on your coolant level. It only does this after a run then then restart? Not after a overnight park?

How long does the smoking last?

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Yes how long does it last? Does it smoke all the time or just when you crank it. My 90 wing would smoke some white when I first craked it after over night but would clear up and not smoke again. Never gave any problems and I guessed it was moisture from setting over night in shop.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

No smoke when sitting over night. Just after short stops when exhaust are hot. Guess I will go ahead and do the head gasket.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Does it do this every time?? Are you turning off your fuel petcock when you stop? I would try that just to make sure.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Yes every time..I have shut the petcock when stopped. I think I have shut it off when stopping for just 10 min or so. Still smoke upon start. It does have the sweet smell to it. Once I replace the fuel pump then I will try it again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.