Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, another question. I just restarted my bike for the first time since parking it for a small overhaul.

I'm the guy who asked a month ago about 1100 pipes on a 1000.

They went on just great. All the mounting holes matched up and the cross-over pipes just needed a little oxy-acetylene heating to reshape them forward of the rear tire.

BUT! I didn't check the exhuast seats in the head for gaskets. The old rusty system didn't leak so I figured that the copper gasket rings were still up in the head.

One cylinder leaks, so is there anything I need to know before I go out and spend money on little copper rings or try to reshape a header to seat better? Thanks for ideas, Jim

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

It just soundls like the gasket is past its seel by date. Why not just put another one in? If you think the header isn't seating all the way then just put the new gasket in over the old one to take up the space, otherwise just whip out the old one first.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, Max. I'll just try new gaskets to start! Already ordered and this is the easiest way to start to solve the leaky exhaust. Do the old gaskets get jambed up inside the exhaust port? When I removed the old headers the old gaskets didn't fall out. Do I need to dig or pull them out?

I do like your suggestion about using two gaskets in the leaky port.

Jim

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Those copper gaskets are a tight fit, but you can hook them out easy with a screwdriver. You have to firmly push the new ones in, that's what gives the good seal.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

those copper gaskets are very tough. They last for years and you can pull the pipes many times and re-use the gaskets lots of times. If the nuts will still sit on the studs when doubling up the gaskets then it will still give a good seal. Great idea. :clapper:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Just hook the old ones out. They will most likely break up anyway if they are very old.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.