Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with changing to a Corbin seat to improve ground reach and if so about how much gain can be reasonably expected!

·
Administrator
58,176 Posts
I had a Corbin on my 1800 when I bought it.... did not like it, way to hard for my bum.

I traded straight across for a 2010 OEM seat, and to be honest, I can't tell the difference in height.
I have a 32" inseam.

but, if you order a new Corbin, they will make it to fit you, just call them on the phone.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Bike?

Loved the Corbin I put on my '85 GL1200 back in 1997 (was $700 then ... but it earned it's keep), it wore very well too, looked new still when sold in June 2019.
I also love the Corbin I put on the trike, a '97 GL1500 (bought it hardly used ... like new still … the PO co-rider didn't like it, I dyed it matte black).

The value of a seat is not how "soft" it is as all of them will eventually harden enough to keep your butt off the road or frame tubes as eventually your butt reaches the seat pan itself.

Rather it's how well it fits your butt and thighs that are ... IMHO ... far and away more important. With the Corbins, I don't get that pain in my butt or tail bone areas. I can ride hours without pain. The seat supports … does not try to absorb me.

Yeah, I'm a Corbin fan, but I didn't buy one for touching the ground. The stock seats let me do that with the help of a 30-31" inseam.

Sorry but I'm afraid I'm no help after all. ;)

Edited: Here is a picture of my trike's current Corbin saddle alongside it's OEM seat & Utopia back rest on our 1997 GL-1500 trike (either one was light years better that that Hartco the PO had on it, thank goodness he also had unused OEM saved … and gave it to me … Thank's "CR"). It does allow one to view different contours, stock vs Corbin I think, side by side.

I ran the OEM a couple years with the Utopia (not bad) … then I bought the Corbin used but had to re-dye it from purple to matte black using SEM products. That purple just clashed. I also pulled the cover loose to cut down the rear lip of the Corbin seat pan as the travel trunk is set back over 2", then reattached the cover underneath.

I also include a pic of the Corbin Seat I'd love to have, but how to get the red piping? I love the look, but with it matte black, I can touch it up if needed. The dye is good though, but if I could duplicate the red piping and it be durable, I might would try the grey? :D

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
I know there are those that love them and those that don't. A buddy bought 1 years back and he and his co rider never liked it, They are hard, like a saddle, best thing is to try and find someone with a corbin and try it out.

·
Administrator
24,817 Posts
It will probably make reaching the ground harder even if the actual seat is lower because of the sides of the seat being wider than stock & stiffer.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I talked to Corbin a few years ago about a seat for the 1985 LTD. I think they do make a good seat but the cost was way up there. I have a stock seat on the 1500 and my problem is I'm 6'3" tall and I get cramps on the outside of my hip's when I leave a stop sign after sitting for a while in traffic. Sometimes I have to pull over and stand up to work it out and it is worse when riding two up. Corbin had a deal if you bring your bike in on a Sat. they would make you a seat and install it and mail your old seat home. I go over to Holster Ca. all the time on ride's so it's only an Hour and half away. I have a hard time spending that kind of money on a 1993 Wing but it might be worth it, if I knew the cramps would go away. I have to believe they know how to make a seat that would fit me. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
I know there are those that love them and those that don't. A buddy bought 1 years back and he and his co rider never liked it, They are hard, like a saddle, best thing is to try and find someone with a corbin and try it out.
Hard to beat a well fitted saddle ... as any cowboy will tell you. Sitting one is the only way to judge.
From my recollection, all custom bike seats are pretty pricey.

·
Registered
36 Posts
While the Corbin's are wider, in order to be able to reach the ground you need to slide forward when you come to a stop. The front of the seat is narrower and it brings your legs closer together therefore making it easier to reach the ground. It sounds too simple but it really works. I have a 30" inseam and the Corbin was on my bike when I bought it. I first thought I would have to be on my toes all the time. I tried a stock seat and hated it, very uncomfortable and hot. I put the Corbin back on and after reading their website, found out about the sliding forward thing. Since then, I find the Corbin to be the most comfortable seat I've ever ridden on. Like others have said, see if you can find someone with one to try it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts