Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

One of my cornering lights is out. I looked at the manual that I downloaded from this site (thanks) and it looks like quite a bit of body removal to get at it. Is this the case or do all you veteran wingers have a shortcut/tip?

And one other thing, is there a control to dim or lighten the dash illumination?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi there is no dimmer switch for the dash lights if they are low in places then you probley have some bulbs gone and to get a the cornering lights you have to remove the lower fairing sorry no short cut

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Mine blew a little while ago and I found if you remove the pull out piece where the lower and upper fairing meet you will uncoverthe3 screws holding the panel in place. if you just remove theseand the ones for the lower cowlyou might be able to get your hand in and just pull the bulb.Sounds like a lot but its only 5 or 6 screws.It worked for me ( an I've got big hands)

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

its only about a 15-20 min per sidejob for me to replace the driving light bulbs on my gl1500.

you remove the black covers next to the yellow running light on the side & remove 3 screws, go around to the back side of the flaring (just above the engine by your shin) & remove that screw & the side engine air deflector comes off, pop the pressure fitting out of the front of the flaring from the solid pannel above the vented one for the radiator, (now that pannel that the light is mounted to should be loose) carefully pull & twist to release the interlocking tabs that hold it to the lower cover (they are at the joint right under the light), & now the pannel should be off with just the light wires holding it. now reverse order to reinstall.

my driving lights are always burning out so i've learned a philips screwdriver & 15-20 minutes i can replace them, on the road if needed, its just do i have a spare on hand.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

If it's the same as mine the bulb has two filaments and only one burned out. At the price I'm going to see if the bulb has a second life. Unfortunately I was handling the burnt out bulb and skin acid isn't good for the quartz glass if that's what it is. Not a big job but it gives you a chance to get chummy with your radiator.

·
Nobody
364 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
If it's the same as mine the bulb has two filaments and only one burned out. At the price I'm going to see if the bulb has a second life. Unfortunately I was handling the burnt out bulb and skin acid isn't good for the quartz glass if that's what it is. Not a big job but it gives you a chance to get chummy with your radiator.
I use a soldering iron to bridge the contacts on the bulb and give it a "second life". You can clean the bulb with alcohol after handling to clean fingerprints off.

Also CycleMax has the best price on these bulbs...You will NOT find them at the local auto parts store!

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/4860

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

kennyd wrote:

I use a soldering iron to bridge the contacts on the bulb and give it a "second life". You can clean the bulb with alcohol after handling to clean fingerprints off.

Also CycleMax has the best price on these bulbs...You will NOT find them at the local auto parts store!

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/4860

Honda up here wants about 27 Canabucks plus tax. :crying:

Thanks for the tip. I've got to put together a shopping list.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

those show crome/ big bike parts (show chrome is a subdivision of big bike parts)18/18w 12v h6 bulbs are junk.

i put their aftermarket driving light kit in my gl1500 interstate & the first set of filiments didn't even last 3,000 miles, them i turned the lead in the socet around & got less than 3,000 miles again. then i got a set of direct replacements & big surprize, i got the same lousy results so i looked elswear for compatible non show chrome/ big bike parts replacements.

i found a local honda/ yamaha dealer with 30/30w 12v h6 yamaha brand atv headlight bulbs for about $12 each & the first set of filiments lasted about 12,000 miles & i'm at about 2,000 (still going) on the second filiment on both right now. i checked to make sure they didn't get to hot for the plastic lenses & they are fine (i've run for 3-4 hours straight without sutting them off in 90 degrees were the bike was overheating in traffic with no lens melting.

for the price/ replacement issues i thing the yamaha bulbs are much better (& they are brighter also).

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

Cycle Max - $3 a piece. Local Honda pirate shop - $10 a piece (and they said "You can't get these anywhere else". Yeah right! Do the math.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

These bulbs are quite common they fit as headlamp bulbs in some of the older bikes from the 80s ie: suzuki gsx 400 has the same bulb in its headlight

Wemoto has them £2.10 each
Thats why its a twin filament bulb main and dip on the headlamp

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Hi

You can use the SE cornering bulb for the BBP/Show Chrome aftermarket piece.
I've been driving with mine always on for approx. 3 months now.

Brian

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Yo Dragoon,

If you find your Dash lights are too dim to see until it's full dark or you are on a country road in full dark.

You CAN make them a tad brighter.

I had that problem on mine, But I didn't want them so bright as to reflect on the Windshield.

What worked great for me is I removed the little Blue rubbers from the little bulbs.

I thought it would be a white light then as I removed the blue covers from clear bulbs.

But it is still blue tinted and quite a bit brighter than stock.

But not so bright that they are reflecting or bother your eyes.

It's a pleasure to glance at my dash now.

Where before, I never could see Mileage or even what speed I was going without bending down close and squinting.

I have helped a couple of other Wingers remove the rubbers from their bulbs as they liked mine so much.

One Tip.

Replace all the bulbs at once. They are not that expensive and you don't want to pull it apart again just for one bulb.

Oh and test light the bulbs in your dash, before you button the Tupperware back up.

Good Luck

Mohawk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.