Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Two questions. Should a '98 GL1500A have running lights or cornering lights? Is there a fuse that controls these lights? Thanks for the help.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

The Aspencade had neither. That was only on the SE's. IIRC, up to 98, they were cornering lights. 98-00 were running lights. If you have lights in the lower corners then most likely a PO added them. The connectors were there on the Aspencades for plug and play butwhat I did, I wired them up on a seperate aux circuit and have them switched so I can control when they are on or off. It also keeps from adding an extraload on that factory circuit.

What you may have to do is pop off the lower fairing panels and see how they are wired up. That may give you a clue on where to look if they are not operating. It's possible that the PO may have put them on a switch as well and you will need to find that switch. If they are hooked to the factory connectors, it is possible that the bulbs may be blown and need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

On my 99 GL1500 SE they are running lights.

They are a H6M bulb at 16W factory.

I had to replace them as one burned out. I changed them to a 36W/35W and what a differrence. Now I can see the road much better.

Just be careful of the total load on you altenator and check you voltage with everything running.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

Be careful rottie, the higher wattage bulbs can burn out the bulb holders eventually.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

98 - 00 Aspencade has cornering lights and 98 - 00 SE has running lights. As for the fuse, I'm not sure as I'm at work and don't have the wiring diagrams in front of me.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

You learn something new everyday. I stand corrected. I never new that they changed that on the later model Aspencades. I apologize for my misinformation....

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

I order aftermarket running bulbs for my 1999SE from Cyclemax.com. I think they are $6.00 each. Much cheaper than Honda bulbs.

Mike

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

JDuggan wrote:
Be careful rottie, the higher wattage bulbs can burn out the bulb holders eventually.
My concern exactly but would love to do the same.............any problem with overheating either the socket or wiring so far rottie? How long ya had it set up this way?

T.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

I've had my 91 interstate for 2 weeks now. I've been wondering if there were lights behind those lower lenses. my dont seem to come on at all. should they be coming on with the turn signal or are the lenses just for show

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I have seen others on this thread convert those to high power LED bulbs which throw lots of light and draw very little power. I am considering that. If stock is 16w, I would think the wires may get hot and brittle (the insulation) over time from pulling 2x-3x the power through them.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

rpeters549 wrote:
If stock is 16w, I would think the wires may get hot and brittle (the insulation) over time from pulling 2x-3x the power through them.
Have just converted over to 35 watt PIAA.............happy so far. Have checked the wiring after use for an hour or so and didn't find it hot at all. My one concern would be possible heat damage to the lens or socket themselves. They don't seem inordinately hot, but time will tell.

That said, I DO like the whiter light and they do stand out quite a bit better. As for providing better visibility for the rider's vision, the jury is still out for me...........

Another thing I like is that the bulbs have a one year warranty on them. And they should have for the price!

T.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Well if they haven't been converted to be running lights they should come on with the appropriate turn signal lights. Mine had been converted and burned up. I replaced them with units I found on ebay and have them installed as turning lights again. I'd pull one side off and check the bulbs and wiring. The plug and relay for each side is on the side of the radiator if they were not modified.
Bob,

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

thanks bob when the weather gets colder Ill check it out. Since I just got the bike I'm having to much fun riding to give up any ride time. my ride time here is about over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.