Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

my 88 gl1500 seems to want t0 under steer on left hand corners & over steer on right is it me not used to big bike ? i had a VT 1100 before did not seem to have problems

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi david good morning from a wet and windy ireland there is a big differance between the vt1100 and the wing for starters about 150kgs have you chequed your tyres for uneven ware and the bends you do relise that a left hander is more likleyshorter than a right + the camber on the road is differant

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Not to mention that if your left arm might be a little shorter :shock:,

than the right thus creating that left turn understeer.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Be sure your tires are properly inflated. An underinflated front tire can cause some of your problems. The extra weight on the front end causes wings to handle a bit different than other bikes.

John

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Get them E2's offa there and make sure your fork bushings, wheel and steering head bearings are up to snuff. That usually takes care of it nicely.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you may have worn tires if not anything mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

I had an 81 1100 that did that...the front forks were bent (right side bent back)....I replaced them and it was a different bike....not sure of how to check them....I could see that mine were bent pretty easily....****

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

mate in sydney at the moment very hot .thank you guys for your quick replys ! i wonder i have new tyres on bike metzler on rear bridgestone on front do you think could have any thing to do with it

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I really doubt that the mixed brands would cause a problem like that. I'd check the swing arm for free play, likewise the head bearing tension. It could be a weight issue, more on one side of the bike than the other. If you were to tape a level on the bike when it was sitting on level ground on the center stand then ride it on a straight road any imbalance in lateral weight would show up on the level. A bent or loose fairing frame could cause the fairing to be off center.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

It might be the 2 different tires. I had KENDA KRUZ on the front then installed Dunlop E3, untouched rear. I did feel a bit squirmy, the bike "felt" like it lost traction in the turns. After a couple K-miles it settled in. But it sure made me more aware of the turns, to be alert/careful. (Current front E3, about 3K miles, still looks near new.)
Being new tires your used to how it felt "broke in". The new tires are symmetrically round, unlike a used tire shape, a slight "D".

Also the 2 different tire makes. They "usually" have 2 different profiles (tread roundness). In a straight line the 2 tires are on therecenter. But in a turn they'll be slightly out of line. AAANNNDD 2 different makes will have different "gription" (grip-traction).

Hope this helps.

OH, and the turns, L & R. My bikedid want to understeer when the front tirewas new, but not broke in. ;)

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

Are you powering into the corners? There is a tendency to back off a little when you are getting used to a new bike. Don't baby it even if is a little heavier. (Of course you don't have to go overboard but try it out). There is always a tendency to be more comfortable turning into a corner than there is turning out of it. That too may be the resolution to your problem. I know when I first stepped up to the goldwing, I had not ridden anything bigger than a 750 and though I thought I had lots of experience, the new heavier ride took some adjustment. v_man_1:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
imported post

slickster wrote:
I had an 81 1100 that did that...the front forks were bent (right side bent back)....I replaced them and it was a different bike....not sure of how to check them....I could see that mine were bent pretty easily....****
Park the bike on the centre stand, straighten the steering, go to the front of the bike, a few feet back, get down on your hands and knees and check that the wheels are in line and not stepped to one side or the other.

If the wheels are stepped, that would cause under-steer and over-steer in corners as you described, that would indicate either bent fork(s), or the forks twisted in the headstock.

(as dictated to me by Chippy01)

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

david john wrote:
:? WHAT DO YOU MEAN POWER INTO CORNER ?:baffled:
If you are taking a corner or a curve while slowing down the weight transfers toward the front of the bike. It then has a tendency to, "fall" into the turn or curve. A small amount of power will cause the bike to want to stand up so to speak. That heavy fairing makes the tendency somewhat worse.

As I leave my driveway I have to make a 90 degree curve to the right. If I just try to go round I notice the bike feels like it wants to fall over. I use a little power and just, "drive" through the turn. Not saying there may be something with the geometry of yours. You should check that closely of course, but that heavy fairing up front is gonna make the Goldwing feel different untill you get used to it....

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

david john wrote:
:? WHAT DO YOU MEAN POWER INTO CORNER ?:baffled:
My Wing I just have to THINK turn right & it goes right. :cheeky1:

Start training your's :whip:

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

My 84 GL1200 required a rear bearing, the ride was fine but corners did feel strange, as though it had a front wheel problem. Easy to check rear when on center stand.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

The tires you have can make a big difference. My 1200 had E2's when I bought it, and I never felt comfortable in the corners. Put E3's on it and you can lean it until it drags. Huge difference.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

Avons for my 88, they stick like glue, with good life.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

:bowing: now i understand will give it a try when i can get out on it i am a train driver we are so busy at the moment havent got the time to scratch myself will let you know when i do:bowing:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.