Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Over the weekend I decided to check out the carbs on my 1500. Got everything ready, tools, vacuum gauges, plugs while I was in there, air filter etc. (It has been extremely hard to start)

Pulled the side covers off, the radio off, anything else I needed as the accessories (lighting) had stopped working also.

I changed the air filter first, then went to check the balance on the carbs and I found some difference on my bike and the pictures in the forum. On the right side where you are supposed to take out a screw, put in an adapter and then hook up the gauge I found a vacuum hose already hooked up to the right side carb. Close inspection disclosed a small hole in the hose. Checking the left side showed a hole in that side in about the same place on that vacuum hose. I repaired them both and hit the starter. It immediately fired and ran real steady. Checking the carb balance showed them to be perfectly balanced.

Since the repair it starts instantly, with no playing with the choke lever or anything else. Just hit the starter and it starts almost instantly.

On the lighting I found a large ball of wires behind the left pocket that contained three relays and a wire had worked loose on one that put everything to ground. Everything is working now.

Just thought I would post this as a small hole in the vacuum can create havoc with starting.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

Good find. And thanks for the report.

Bookmarked so others can use the info ;)

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Thanks,,,,,,,, just by reading tips like this can be a big help in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Thanks RetNav, I've been suspecting my hosery for some time!

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I'm thinking that if you have some small holes in the side of your "hose" you might want to get professional help.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

On a more serious note it is tips like this that make this forum so useful!! and fun...

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I believe the problem had to be the small holes as the old filter was in pretty good condition. I changed it anyway.

Happy to pass on any suggestions as I find them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.