Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

$453 to have my two saddlebag doors repainted and the left blinker house. I would do all the r&r and the body shop still wanted $453. It seems steep to me.
However, if I buy the primer, paint, reducer, clear, and hardener that could still run me $150 if I find it wholesale. So is it worth it to pay them $300 for their labor?
What do you guys do? Do your own work or hire it out?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

i do my own but i've been painting for 40 years. it depends on what your time is worth to you and if you have the time and want to do it and if you can do a good enough job to please yourself. you can always sand and buff it to get that shine and remove some trash. but if you don't like what they do then there's the rub no pun intended. the price is not out of range with the cost of the high quality paint they use and their overhead. go for it yourself or not.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

it might be a tad on the highside but with the epa and the outrageous price of materials anymore probably not too high. Red and marroons are the most expensive colors and reds or red metalics can be a troublesome match. If the shop has its own color mixing systym where they can tone it and you end up with a good color match i would go with it. If they dont and they have to rely on a paint store for a match you might want to get the paint and try it yourself .Some paint stores used to carry factory packs but I never relied on them for a good match and had a paint mixing systym in my shop. If you decide to have them do it you might want to give them a part that doesnt need to be painted. I dont know if Honda would carry a factory pack.Whats the problem with your parts. Deep scratches?. JB

·
Registered
228 Posts
imported post

I had my gas tank side covers, gas tank top and side covers repainted by a guy that just does body work on the side and it only cost me a total $83 if you go to a body shop they will break it off in you. Or do it your self spray guns don't cost much. MCFF:):)

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

anyone who has owned a business such as jbz above has an idea of the costs involved just to have the equipment available to do a paint job,much less the other costs associated with just opening the doors everyday,just find a shop with a good reputation that does quality work,at a price u can live with,if its cheaper and two shades off when u get home can u live with that? will the cheap guy keep repainting it till you are happy? i doubt it what can u live with?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I had my bike left side box replaced and painted and the paint cost alone was $750. But I have custom paint.
Total outlay for the box, lid and lower rear corner cover was about $1600. I did none of the work except mounting and installing the replacement box.

I got the box from a triker takeoff.

If you could find used replacements in your color, that would be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

Paint is very expensive. I qt ppg base-silver(80),I qt red base coar(80), I qt clear coat(80)= $240, Then you need thinner & hardner for the epoxy primer & clear coat.

You will have over $400 in paint.( I get body shop prices)

Also where do you go to get a paint match? It's impossible to match a 3 part paint by eye. You need the PAINT NO.

Does anyone have paint nos. for early Goldwings?

Don

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

I agree with the others about minimal cost savings. My opinion is that if you attempt it yourself you'll be reminded of the small amount saved every time you walk up to it. If this is your first time, read up on "how-to" and call it educational. I spent 75K and 5yrs building an airplane when there were pipers for 35K already flying. Education and recreation have a value only you can determine. Plus, you'll have enough material to do the parts at least 3 or 4 times.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Just go and buy 2 complete saddlebags from a trike take off . lots of them for sale on ebay ,I bought 2 last year for 250 dollars , Ciaran

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Bob,
Here is a set on Craigslist for $100 not mine [email protected] . I did a search all craigslist, goggle (search all craigslist) for others.
God Bless, Stu

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.