Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been lead to believe that someone with the proper devices can steal our credit card information even without holding the card. If this is possible then what about this; we were out sightseeing today and going to visit the falls. A young foreign woman asked someone to take her picture, which he did. On our way back up from the falls she asked me to take her picture, she had only made it about 20 feet in the time it took us to go down to the falls and back up! Could it be she was able to steal credit card information or just someone that liked pictures of herself? That would be quite a scam.

Just a thought, and yes, I did take her picture.

Am I parinoid?

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Last year someone stole our cc info and charged $2400 to a Saudi Arabia web site. Since we had never used that card on the net or anywhere for that mater, it had to be scanned with one of those hand held devices. Wife and I both carry blocking billfolds now.

·
Administrator
58,432 Posts
none of my Debit cards have that fancy chip in them, so I don't have to worry about the RF readers.

If they don't get scanned thru a card reader slot, they just don't work.

Up here in the northern parts of the USA, I have been running into POS card readers that will not take the info off of my debit card unless I swipe it through at 150 mph! man those things are different than the old ones we have back home in Oklahoma....

the old ones bitch if you slide the card too fast.... not these up here, they barf and yell "Card Read Error" and the clerks tell me to swipe it FAST sir!!!!

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I like the fact that all of these companies say theyre secure and cant have info stolen with their chip LOL. My one son who is still in the military gave me a blocking sleeve for my credit card with the chip. He told me some stories about the chip and said when he is on TDY in foreign countries the military recommends they do this with their chipped credit cards. The scary part is my passport has one also.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
The card that got scanned last year had no rfid chip in it. There are scanners that can read the magnetic strip without touching the card.

·
Administrator
58,432 Posts
The card that got scanned last year had no rfid chip in it. There are scanners that can read the magnetic strip without touching the card.

????

that I was NOT aware of at all.

now I have to line my wallet with tin foil hats :frown2:

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
none of my Debit cards have that fancy chip in them, so I don't have to worry about the RF readers.

If they don't get scanned thru a card reader slot, they just don't work.

Up here in the northern parts of the USA, I have been running into POS card readers that will not take the info off of my debit card unless I swipe it through at 150 mph! man those things are different than the old ones we have back home in Oklahoma....

the old ones bitch if you slide the card too fast.... not these up here, they barf and yell "Card Read Error" and the clerks tell me to swipe it FAST sir!!!!

FYI John, They pull off the megnetic strip on your card.

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
Possible? Absolutely.

In your case, it would be an amateurish attempt at best, when the pros hit you you'll never know.

The best defense is to have automatice alerts to your phone for any/every charge. Then you know what is going on, and can report it right away.

"Protective" wallets have never actually been proven to stop anything... Kind of like Deer whistles for your wallet..... (check the internet, these have been debunked in many tests).

BigMick's Sleeves are the exception... they actually work.

FYI... I work for a bank, and I have been in IT for many, many years. Almost always, thefts occur because of individual stupidity, lack of awareness/not keeping track, and corporate breaches. Studies back this up time and again.

I think you are fine, and a nice person to take the time to make someone from another country fell welcome...

·
Administrator
58,432 Posts
Possible? Absolutely.

The best defense is to have automatic alerts to your phone for any/every charge. Then you know what is going on, and can report it right away.

FYI... I work for a bank, and I have been in IT for many, many years. Almost always, thefts occur because of individual stupidity, lack of awareness/not keeping track, and corporate breaches. Studies back this up time and again.

I just accessed my Credit Union account and activated that Alert just like you described.
I had forgotten it was available for "every transaction", I only had it activated for "Low Balance"

I now monitor every single Debit/ATM transaction and it hits my email and my cellphone.

Thanks for this reminder.... I have always tried to stay ahead of the jerks, this just makes it easier.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,231 Posts
Just because you are not paranoid does not mean someone is not out to get you...

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I'm not trying to start a war or anything, but I highly disagree with kgypsy on how to combat the CC thieves and their scanning machines. When we were stolen from, we had all the protection he is talking about. That's how I knew when it happened so fast. IMHO, this advice is like closing the barn door after the horse got out. It took 2 weeks to recover the $2400 we lost from the theft. Sure made for a rough 2 weeks eating beans and hotdogs.

Yes the sleeves do work and so do a lot of the billfolds out there if they are made correctly. Proof is out there if you care to look. I'm going to tell you that to get a billfold that works and has been proven to work, you are going to pay a high price for it. It will also be made in Switzerland where the scanners originated from.

That is my advice and it's worth exactly what you paid for it. You do your own thing and I'll do mine, but don't post on a public forum that my advice is wrong unless you do your research as I have done thoroughly.

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
Apologies. Did not in any mean to imply you were incorrect or wrong. Was only quoting what we have been told by my company's official line and what I have read about. There's lots I don't know, but then again I never claimed I knew everything......

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Apologies. Did not in any mean to imply you were incorrect or wrong. Was only quoting what we have been told by my company's official line and what I have read about. There's lots I don't know, but then again I never claimed I knew everything......
I possibly overreacted to your post, but this is a very passionate subject to me and I have researched it extensively. IMHO, your company is giving out very questionable info. Not every teacher knows their subject thoroughly. The card we had scanned was a PayPal debit card that draws money directly from our bank account. We use it for most of our bank dealings as PP treats it just like a credit card with all the same protections a credit card offers. With the exception, we were not responsible for then first $50 as a credit card requires. If this had happened with our bank debit card, we may have been out $2400 but we got it all back with PayPal although it did take a while.

Like I said, I'm not trying to start a war or even call you out and I certainly wasn't looking for an apology. I just want people to be aware that all info out there is not black and white correct. You wouldn't believe some of the things I have read on the net concerning this subject. We have several credit cards, but only carry one when we go out or on a trip. The world is a dangerous place anymore and it's only going to get worse with the way electronics plays such a roll in our lives now days. We may be a little paranoid, but with good reason. We were victims and it wasn't any fun at all.

·
Administrator
58,432 Posts
I did as you suggested and set up the Alerts on my bank.

Just got fuel, and less than 10 minutes later my cellphone dinged with the transaction alert.

Nice!

·
Just Winging It
3,325 Posts
I refuse to use a debit card.

I use a cc for JT Pottery (link in signature) and for personal.

JT Pottery's cc has been stolen 4-5 times over the last 11 years.

First time was for $20k.

The only thing I had to do is let the cc know.

The only inconvenience has been the cc # was canceled New card in the mail.

I still have access to my money.

Now I have the cc set a artificial limit. I have to call them if I need more credit so when my card gets stolen the cc company is not out as much money.

Now I want to point out I use a money clip as a wallet.

The personal card and business card live side by side with the personal card on the outside #'s facing out business card right behind in the same orientation.

Personal card has never been stolen.

For what ever it is worth.

·
Administrator
58,432 Posts
I don't like carrying cash....

you get change back, and I hate coins.

Debits go direct to my CU, and I monitor them in Real Time now.

If a funky debit occurs, I get a Text Message right now, and then I call the CU and they cancel it.

so far, I have only had my CU debit card messed with twice.....
in the meantime, I have to use cash or swipe my daughter's debit card ( same account ) :rofl:

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Mu metal is a strange form of sheet steel that is used to shield electronic circuits. I suspect it may have beneficial traits for CC protection. It has strange working characteristics as well and a fair amount of engineering is needed to make it work properly.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Experiment:

Tape various pieces of metal to your tap and go cards when you use them. See what makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.