1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2007

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and thenpulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2007 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2007 - Police called andSWAT team arrives -- theyarrest bothJohnny and Mark. They are both charged them with assault andboth expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologistis told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.

2007- The police are called andMark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July,puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1957 - Ants die.

2007 - ATF, Homeland Securityand theFBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents --and all siblings are removed from their home and allcomputers are confiscated. Johnny's dadis placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

This should hit every email inbox to show how stupid we have become!!

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

sad but true Gene.
Thanks, Ray

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

That is 100 percent true! I was in high school in 1957. I can tell you that is exactly how it was. I can't count the times guys wanted to go hunting after school so brought their guns and left them in their locker in school that day. Nobody gave it a second thought. You wern't a guy if you didn't carry a pocket knife.

And...Back then you actually had to pass in order to move on to the next year or to graduate. What the hell has happened?

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

We won't let the kids have any guns, but we will give them a video game where they can kill at will, steal cars and do unspeakable things to those of the opposite sex.

I think it's a big planned conspiracy between the lawyers and the psychologist. Best thing that could ever happen is we ship all there butts to another country and not let them back in.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Issac Green (minister) once said: You threw away your hickory sticks, you burn down your wood sheds and you took God out of your schools. They are your kids. What are you going to do with them now?

·
Premium Member
63,038 Posts
imported post

As a Grandparent it get to go to the grand kids schools.. Get to set in the classrooms with them about 4 times a year..
You can't believe the crap they're teaching this kids now a days..
Before I get every teacher on my back, I'm sure there are some school that do a better job then what I've seen..
This liberal attitude that the government will take care of you, no one fails and every ones a good person just isn't getting it.........

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

School Law and taxes have a lot in common, lawmakers just keep adding more and more laws to fix something that isn't really broken. It is human to do this, and inhuman to try and simplify things so everyone, including children can understand the rules. Who wants to play a game where it takes a college degree and a CPA license to understand how to play? School law is the same way, we keep trying to fix a system that already had all the rules needed to let it be successful. I say simplify!
Wait until President Obama and the democratic congress get going. Can you say federal school?:?
I will say this, schools can work, in spite of everything politicians try to do, if you have strong leaders. Administrators are the key to the heart and soul of a school, if they are strong and consistent, the school works. We have forgotten what made america great. Cetainly not the politicians and others who think someone else can fix their problems better than they can themselves. Like 'ole Larry the cable guys says, "get er done!"

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

We recently had a motion by a local school board to take the "F" out of the grading /marking system as they did not want the students to have their feelings hurt :baffled::baffled::baffled:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Back when I used to work for a living I was asked to give a short career oriented talk to some High school students.

At the time I was teaching statistics on the shop floor, so that is part of what I talked about.

I made the mistake :D of mentioning that when we say average, we mean that half the population is below that and half above, just like in class:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I was taken aside afterwards and it was explained to me that I might have done irreparable harm to some of the students and that was not how the school system worked.

Needless to say, I was never invited again:cool::cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Yep. I've been saying for years that lawyers are ruining the world and its the absolute truth.

When I was in high school, ('89-92) it as just starting to get bad. Urban schools were starting to get bull$hit rules like this. Luckily, it took a while to get out to the sticks. I live in a rural area and had a gun in my truck every day. Most of the other "********" I went to school did also. Do you know how many school shootings we had? You guessed it, NONE. I carried a knife in my pocket everyday, as did most of the other ********. Guess how many stabbings we had? NONE.

I actually had a football coach/teacher, who was having problems with stray dogs, ask to borrow my .22 rifle. I brought it tohis class to give to him.No big deal.

Fast forward 10 years. A kid at the same school I graduated from picked up his shotgun from being repaired at the gunsmith on Sunday afternoon. He forgot about it on Monday morning. Half way through the day, he remembered it was in his trunk. Knowing this was a violation of school rules, he went to ask the principal if he could sign out and take it home. He was arrested and suspended from school. He had to go to court and before the school board. Luckily, he was not convicted of anything and only missed a few weeks of school before being let back in, but what a crock! Was this the guy we're worried about shooting up a school? A guy who came in and told on himself for a simple mistake?

And people wonder why my wife and I choose not tobring kids into the world.:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2007

1957 Jack at 17cut class went to the swimmmmin hole and had a beer, smoked some weed (had a bag). The principal went to Jacks House and told mom and dad Jack cut class to go swimmmmin

2007 Jack at 17was busted with abeer and enough weed (a bag) to give himself a felony conviction. Jack could not get a job so he turned to a life of crimeand was killed at 30providing for his family the only way he could

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

i dont know anything about 1957 i was born in 76 so i ws in high school from 90-94. I am constantly complaning about the difference between then and now. My son was kicked out of school for 2 days because he and some of his friends were out on the playground playing cops and robbers. They were useing their fingers like guns and pretending to shoot each other.. We live in northern michigan. The principal said that they were concerned that they children were threating the school of a potiential shooting. Because of Colombine and other school shooting. Please, whatever, tell me a school shooting that involved a group of 3rd graders. I asked what happened to days of innocence when a game of cops and robbers was just that a game of cops and robbers. The principal even had the nerve to tell me she suspended a kindergardner for useing his pencil like a gun. Watch out parents there a romeing gangs of kindergardners that are planing school shooting. My third grade son has a hard time planning a weeks worth school clothes, let alone the complex tasks of planning a school shooting. Our goverment, the lawyers, and school officals have ruined the days of innocence. No wonder there are so many children being home schooled now

·
Registered
106 Posts
imported post

SC wrote:
SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2007

1957 Jack at 17cut class went to the swimmmmin hole and had a beer, smoked some weed (had a bag). The principal went to Jacks House and told mom and dad Jack cut class to go swimmmmin

2007 Jack at 17was busted with abeer and enough weed (a bag) to give himself a felony conviction. Jack could not get a job so he turned to a life of crimeand was killed at 30providing for his family the only way he could
Sounds like Jack lived in Florida

Come here on vacation, leave on probation, come back for the duration

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

This is called the dumbing down of America, and maybe the rest of the world. The dumber we are the more controllable and when we're to dumb to take care of ourselves then we are totally under control.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

SC wrote:
SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2007

1957 Jack at 17cut class went to the swimmmmin hole and had a beer, smoked some weed (had a bag)The principal told Jack "you would be better off smoking cigarettes", then took Jacks beer. The principal went to Jacks House and told mom and dad Jack cut class to go swimmmmin

2007 Jack at 17was busted with abeer and enough weed (a bag) to give himself a felony conviction Jack was caught on video smoking a cigaretteat the store across from the school, the store called the school& the search by law enfocement at the school found the weed. Jack could not get a jobsoafter trying to work legal for years only to be turned awayhe turned to a life of crimeand was killed at 30providing for his family the only way he could as a drug dealer and a thief
A stupid WEEDcan :shock:

But you can smoke all the PROZAK & ZOLOFTyou want :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

giz wrote:
i dont know anything about 1957 i was born in 76 so i ws in high school from 90-94. I am constantly complaning about the difference between then and now. My son was kicked out of school for 2 days because he and some of his friends were out on the playground playing cops and robbers. They were useing their fingers like guns and pretending to shoot each other.. We live in northern michigan. The principal said that they were concerned that they children were threating the school of a potiential shooting. Because of Colombine and other school shooting. Please, whatever, tell me a school shooting that involved a group of 3rd graders. I asked what happened to days of innocence when a game of cops and robbers was just that a game of cops and robbers. The principal even had the nerve to tell me she suspended a kindergardner for useing his pencil like a gun. Watch out parents there a romeing gangs of kindergardners that are planing school shooting. My third grade son has a hard time planning a weeks worth school clothes, let alone the complex tasks of planning a school shooting. Our goverment, the lawyers, and school officals have ruined the days of innocence. No wonder there are so many children being home schooled now
That settles it, kids are no longer allowed to bring their Hands, or pencils to School any more ! That statement makes about as much sense as some of the others !

We seriously need to take back the lives that we used to have,,, they worked Just Fine before a bunch of Over Paid Morons took over !

Steve-O

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

We seriously need to take back the lives that we used to have,,, they worked Just Fine before a bunch of Over Paid Morons took over !

Steve-O
Great so how do we start, I sure don't know.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

It will never happen except in our dreams, except for s lobodomy, they can't take that away from us. THE GOOD OLD DAYS ? when were they ? It probably differs for all of us, but for ME, it was the 50s, I loved

The Twilite Zone, Three Stooges, Ozzie and Harriet, Dobie Gillis, Route 66, 77 Sunset Strip, Car 54 Where are you, nickel candy bars, not having to lock everything when you ran to the store, leaving the keys in the car, and Neighbors who visited across the fence, or came over to play Kanasta, or Pinochle till midnight. A Song done by the Statler Brothers saqid it ALL......

Blessings

Steve-O

·
Premium Member
63,038 Posts
imported post

I personal think it has to do with the influx and quality of the immigrants that are allowed to enter this country..
Over the years they have been dragging our culture down to their level.. Our elected officials are letting it happen.. Press 1 for English, election ballets in all kinds of languishes.. Be political correct, and don't piss anyone off..
That's one the place to start, immigration.........

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

b679995 wrote:
It will never happen except in our dreams, except for s lobodomy, they can't take that away from us. THE GOOD OLD DAYS ? when were they ? It probably differs for all of us, but for ME, it was the 50s, I loved

The Twilite Zone, Three Stooges, Ozzie and Harriet, Dobie Gillis, Route 66, 77 Sunset Strip, Car 54 Where are you, nickel candy bars, not having to lock everything when you ran to the store, leaving the keys in the car, and Neighbors who visited across the fence, or came over to play Kanasta, or Pinochle till midnight. A Song done by the Statler Brothers saqid it ALL......

Blessings

Steve-O
There is not a cent sign on the computer, anyway $.25 too see two shows with a cartoon in the middle, $.19 per gallon for gas, .25 for cig if you smoked,Sky King, Cecil & Bennie, Sheriff John, walking to the store by yourself, camping out in the front yard, Maverick, Lone Ranger, Bat Masterson, Sea Hunt, etc. etc.

Wow memories.:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.