Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I don't have a GPS and been riding back roads in VA, WV, NC, SC, and will be a bit more and on way home to MO. I'm in SC now in Georgetown.

Any one, happen to have a cheaper used good GPS for sale?
Maybe upgraded to a newer or better model so have an extra?

I'd need one that speaks the turns as they come up, preferably with a jack for external speaker or head set also.
Would be nice if it shows the correct speed I'm riding to check against the speedo on bike.
Seems like it takes an extra hour or more to get anywhere.
Maybe I am not riding fast enough LOL

I don't want to do Ebay or order one online since I am not at home.
Could ride out and pick one up in the area though if not to far away, or if I pass by later.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Check out wal mart or sears Chromo....they carry garmin, tom tom and motorola which is what i have...

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Good and Cheap tend to be at opposite ends of the spectrum. We went with Garmin after a succession of cheap ones that were mostly useless.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

That's why I'd like to find a nice good cheap one used.
Checked Wall-mart here, nothing I want, and cost too much.
They might have had 1 that was around $100 new, but that was too much I thought, I did not like it very well.
Then about $200 for the other 2 they had, too much for me anytime. I can still use a map for $200! LOL

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

I use the TomtTom GO 630.works well for me and has external speaker jack and bluetooth for your phone or whatever. I wired the external speaker jack into my onboard intercom.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
That's why I'd like to find a nice good cheap one used.
Checked Wall-mart here, nothing I want, and cost too much.
They might have had 1 that was around $100 new, but that was too much I thought, I did not like it very well.
Then about $200 for the other 2 they had, too much for me anytime. I can still use a map for $200! LOL
Hey buddy, as much as i want to help you find a new gps, you arent gonna find a brand new one at a store you can walk into that is worth a sh*& for less than about 130 bucks....online maybe you can find a refurbished or used one for the amount you want , but not if you want a new one...you might keep an eye on the craigslist where you are at...sorry dude...

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

That's ok Mark, I think I can find my way to your place from here with a map, then I'll just borrow yours to get on home from there LOL

Really I never used a GPS before, bought one once this year but then took it back before I ever used it. I think I had it with me when we went to pick up the 1500 as I recall. LOL

Yep, I'd like to find a nice good cheap used one since i never used one before.

Maybe I'll run by a Big Lots store and see if they have any also. Once they had some Garmins for about $80 and $100, but I'd still like to find the same for about half price or so used.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
That's ok Mark, I think I can find my way to your place from here with a map, then I'll just borrow yours to get on home from there LOL

Really I never used a GPS before, bought one once this year but then took it back before I ever used it. I think I had it with me when we went to pick up the 1500 as I recall. LOL

Maybe I'll run by a Big Lots store and see if they have any also. Once they had some Garmins for about $80 and $100, but I'd still like to find the same for about half price or so used.
LOL...ordinarily that may work with someone else, but considering you have already been here before and then rode home? Sorry Buddy....youre on your own...:D

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

tmdriverwannabe wrote:
Chromo wrote:

LOL...ordinarily that may work with someone else, but considering you have already been here before and then rode home? Sorry Buddy....youre on your own...:D
Well, in that case, I could change plans. YOU KNOW I DON'T PLAN much ;)

Ok, I'll ride from here to you by maps, borrow your GPS and ride off roads back to OH to visit MOM and then WV visit DAD, NC, SC, GA for a friends, MS for kid, back to MO for home.
By then it's DEC. and you don't need GPS anyway so about March/April or May I'll use it to find it's way back home to you:ROFL:
Unless I go to Vegas then it would be around June July LOL

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well, anyway, back on track, I still could use a nice used GPS if some one has an extra to sell used, maybe near me here now or not too far away.

200 mile ride from Georgetown, SC or so.

I rode 200 miles each way to visit Bagmaster Sunday, I guess I could to get a decent GPS also if someone has one.

And right now I could really use a nice relaxing ride too!

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

An imagination is a wonderful thing aint it? LOL Thought u were trying to find a gps? One that ISNT mine?...lol

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I'm just trying to find a GPS, your the one that mentioned yours, just gave me a thought you know LOL
Hey your snow bound about now, or soon will be right?
So what do you need a GPS for anyway this time of year?
HEY Dummy, turn right at next snow drift, your not on any legal ice lakes, make a u-turn at the next legal penguin LOL

Sorry, I think I watched RV a few too may times, I want a LOLA of my own LOL

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Hey Chromo,
Swing by the house and I'll give you one of the same ones I and exavid both use. It's waterproof to boot.
I collect them for when they get tough to find and now have 3 or 4 of them.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Try a pawn shop. You should find a working one for about 1/2 price of a new one.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

We bought a cheap one (target $59) years ago for the service vans. They worked well to get the techs were they needed to be via the main roads. We were taking a trip one time and decided to take one with us, it did fine on the main roads but most of the back roads wern't even on the map and most of the short trips you would put in would take you 5 or 6 miles out of the way to get there because the smaller or back roads wern't on the map. We dumped them and got TomToms with lifetime traffic and Maps.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Hey Chromo,
Swing by the house and I'll give you one of the same ones I and exavid both use. It's waterproof to boot.
I collect them for when they get tough to find and now have 3 or 4 of them.
Thanks Rudy!
I'll try to get there maybe this weekend if that's a good time for you.
I'll send you a pm. Looked it up and should be a nice ride over, about 340-360 miles each way so should be a nice weekend ride too.
Hopefully I won't get lost on the way over :D

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

As far as I know, the weekend should be fine. But I never know very far.
PM me and give me an idea of what route you will be coming in and I'll give you some detailed directions.
I'll even charge it up for you. :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Another option is to look on craigslist.com. I picked up a 4 month old TomTom One for $50.00 with all the paperwork and manual.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

I paid $130 for the Garmin nuvi 1300 with lifetime map updates for my wife's car at Walmart online in August, $120 for the Garmin nuvi 1340 for my car at ecost.com last year, and $99 for the Garmin nuvi 200 on the motorcycle on eBay three years ago, and have used it in a Ram waterproof case for the last 45,000 miles. All three were new when I bought them. For another $89 I can get lifetime map updates for each individual Garmin GPS I own. I have been happy with all the models I have, although the screen on the 200 is a bit small. I've owned Garmin GPS's for about 10 years.

As one of the Regional Captain for Patriot Guard Riders I travel to a lot of new locations that would be difficult to find on a map, especially on the motorcycle, but with the GPS I can drive right to them.

Walmart online has a some great deals on GPS's, and in the larger metropolitan areas you can get delivery in usually 24-48 hours. If you live in rural America like I do, delivery to the nearest store is about a week.

Used GPS's usually have older maps and if you travel in any area that is growing in population it will not have new or relocated roads, and/or subdivisions. And most older GPS's maps are not upgradeable as the manufacturer no longer supports those older models.

George

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.