Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My fairing is broken. I'm re-building this GL1100 naked. Does the fairing counter-balance weight have to be removed for the bike to handle right? Thanks for any information you can give me.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

Zeke66 wrote:
If you are not intending to refit the fairing, you won't need the weight.
:waving:if NOT fitting the front fairing . this is ture.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Always been curious on that weight.

Is itthere to counter it's wind buffeting?

:?

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

It is there to take the place of the headlight weight to dampen front end wobble.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The counterweight is there to prevent wobbling. The fairing shifts the bikes CGby adding massahead of the head bearingswhich changes the wobble response of the forks. If there's no fairing it's not needed. It isn't needed on the Vetter fairing either due to it's shape and weight. You can ride a stripped down 'Wing without a headlight with no problem.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

About 8 lbs of dead weight, in the fairings front beyond the trees, prevents the forks from wobbling.

Amazing.

Must have been trial & error to find that it works.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

I always thought the weight was to stop the front of the bike being lifted up by the wind catching the fairing.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Heffo wrote:
I always thought the weight was to stop the front of the bike being lifted up by the wind catching the fairing.
Nope, just a wobble thing. 8-10 pounds is not going to keep you on the ground anyways :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the weight was to keep the front end of the bike down they'd have to have adjustable weights since changing rider weight by fifty pounds would make more difference.

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

FM wrote:
About 8 lbs of dead weight, in the fairings front beyond the trees, prevents the forks from wobbling.

Amazing.

Must have been trial & error to find that it works.
It's not in the fairing, it is mounted on the forks.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Very likely some wobble problems showed up on either prototype or early model 1100s and Honda's engineers came up with a late design fix. It's pretty kludgy so it looks to me that they either had just about put the bikes on the market when they discovered the wobble problem with the new Hondaline fairing. I'm sure anyone who wants to prove it out can simply take the weight off and ride. You might be able to experience whatever it was that caused Honda to put it on and placard it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.