Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All

Just bought some balance beads online. I've read here that you who use them love them.

My question is. If the tires are on the bike and already balanced do you take the other exterior weights off? Just wondering.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jaxn

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
yes take the weights off I had 5 on the back and 2 on front and removed them

one thing about the beads.. occasionally while checking the air pressure one bead or somthing will get stuck in the valve stem and after you remove the gauge air is still coming out slowly... if you then put the gauge on and off a few times the leak stops ..adding air also clears it ..for some reason it only happens on my rear tire ...you can get filters that will solve this but that's at a tire change

·
Premium Member
114 Posts

one thing about the beads.. occasionally while checking the air pressure one bead or somthing will get stuck in the valve stem and after you remove the gauge air is still coming out slowly... if you then put the gauge on and off a few times the leak stops ..adding air also clears it ..for some reason it only happens on my rear tire ...you can get filters that will solve this but that's at a tire change
I had that happen with my front tire. Adding air did clear it. I started making sure the valve stem wasn't at the bottom after that. Did not have a second event.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I see no need to remove exiting weights if the tire is correctly balanced already.
The beads are supposed to spread out to balance the un-even area, so leaving on weights means the beads would just spread out more with less area to have to balance.
I see no harm there.

Counteract beads are supposed to hold in place in the tire by static. Like dust on your monitor or rubbing a balloon on your head and sticking it to the wall.
Once in and the bike has been ridden the tire is supposed to be balanced. They say the beads will stay in place for about a week when not riding, so the tire is already balanced when you start riding next day or two, and of course when stopping and starting when actually out riding it.
Hitting bumps while riding is enough to loosen the beads as needed so that they are always stuck inside to the correct place for correct balance.
They say if you want to make the beads re-balance the tire just give it a whack/thud to knock loose the beads and next time you ride they will balance the tire again from scratch.

I been using Dyna beads and happy with them. Same principal but they do not cling to the tire so each stop all the beads fall to bottom of tire and need to get a little speed like 25mph I think it is for them to start balancing again.

I'll be using the Counteract beads next time myself. I was going to last year but since I have already installed Dynabeads I have to take my tires off to take those out first!
Since Dynabeads fall to bottom when stopping and then spread out again when riding of course they would knock the Counteract beads off the tire if I tried to use both at same time.
When I put on new tires I'll use the Counteract beads but this darn Austone rear tire just won't wear out! LOL

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,628 Posts
Dyna Beads are a very good product. I use them.

Best to remove the weights, if only to remove the junk.

IF the tire is balanced correctly and you add the beads, the tire will stay balanced during the entire life of the tread. Contrary to fixed weights which cannot correct for imbalance due to cupping of the tread.

·
650 Posts
its a lot easier to install the beads when installing new tires, just dump them in before you seat the beads on the rim.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Sooo, I was talking about Dyna-Beads. Is there a difference? Not the first time I was talking out of my @$$.
Your not wrong, you use Dyna Beads.

Counteract beads are Clay like beads (Instead of Glass like Dyna Beads).

The Clay Like beads stick to the inside of the tire via static charge that they put off. I have some counter act beads that I have not installed yet. I used soapy water during the install of my tire, so once that dry's I will then install them and see if they react differently then the Dyna Beads that I am use to.

As Chromo said, Dyna Beads will fall to the bottom of the tire when under a certain speed or stopped. After speeding up, they will start to cling to the inside of the tire where needed.

Has anyone tried "Ride On" in a tire? Not Goop, or that Green slime. Ride on is suppose to seal punctures and balance the tire also.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,908 Posts
Beads don't work at slow speeds. They don't begin to work until speeds of apprx. 20/25mph. My last set of tires with just beads had a balance wobble below 20mph. The new set that I just recently put on I balanced with weights and beads. Absolutely no balance wobble at any speed. Best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Dynabeads ?

I understand the theory of the Dynabeads... are they reuseable and how do you determine the correct amount to use in say a front 130/ 90 - 16 on a 84 1200 Interstate?
Just asking....

·
Premium Member
114 Posts

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
2 ounces front 3 back ... Have used them for a number of years removed all lead weights 5 on the back 3 on the front .. Very smooth .. Mine did not have any issues before I added beads .. My buddies 1500 did .. Vibration front end ..after the beads put in vibration gone .. They work .. Only drawback occasionally while checking tire pressure one will stick the valve open another press of the gauge clears it ...they are reusable .. I like them

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Yes, you can re-use the beads if they aren't messed up.
After about 10K miles when I took my Austone tire off the wrecked 88 and put it on the 95 the dyna beads were still like new in it.

I don't know if the beads would break down or wear down over far more miles or not?
If gunk got in the tire like from nasty air hoses full of water and oil over time it might cause the beads to clump or something, etc...
Also a reason I use a cheap 12V compressor of my own to air up my tires as needed.
Besides being too cheap to pay $1 at a station for the coin operated compressors we see everywhere now a days, I know using my 12V I am putting in nice clean air, not allot of nasty stuff built up in a compressor from neglect.
Coin operated compressors should not be too bad other than cost since they don't have a tank to fill and hold air or collect water. I have got allot of water out of hoses at stations that have real compressors though!
So I air all my tires up with a 12v compressor, even the car and jeep etc... or I use my big shop compressor when at home.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I understand the theory of the Dynabeads... are they reuseable and how do you determine the correct amount to use in say a front 130/ 90 - 16 on a 84 1200 Interstate?
Just asking....
When the tire is worn out, I drill a hole into the tire with a hole saw and dump the beads into one of the wife's tupperware container and reuse them. One of the guys on another forum is on his 7th tire with the same set of dyna-beads.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts

This usually happens because the valve stem has to be at a lower position on the rear tire in order to gain access to it and gravity does what it does best and a bead will become stuck in the valve stem core. If possible, roll the bike forward a little bit so valve stem is higher on the wheel and gravity causes the beads to roll to the bottom of the tire. Also when you air up the tire, the beads will be blown out of the stem core and also roll to the bottom of the wheel. It might make getting at the valve stem harder, but you won't have the problem of a bead getting stuck in the stem core.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.