Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after almost 3 years I finally got my 1984 GL1200 A back. Long story short, friend of a friend fried my wiring harness, 16 months later with no work on it, I took it to a honda dealership. After another 16 months, they supposedly fixed it. First off, the 1st guy put coil over springs as he said the air ride was shot. Ok, no problem. Well, there is a problem. We have them set on the highest setting, but with me, 220 lbs and my wife, 180 lbs, when we hit a bump, the fender rubs on the tire. What is a good shock or spring that will be tight enough that I can get this to stop. Also, for the electrical. Everything was working fine. After about 60 miles of leaving the dealership, my speedometer went dead and I just had the speed sensor replaced, the turn signals went out as did my break light. Actually, the signals and break light are sort of intermittent. I am going to call the dealership back but it is almost a 2 hour trip. Was curious if there was anything I could check on myself. As for the mechanical workings, the bike runs fantastic. If there is a similar post, I apologize. I was looking through and didnt notice anything. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
21,895 Posts
Hi. For the shocks, Progressive is the answer. Don't count on your bike's compressor to air them up, but it's pretty easy to fill them manually. 400 pounds is a lot for a 12.

The speed, blinkers and brake lights may be related but we may need more details.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. As for the shocks, the rear air is gone. They are coil over. I'm thinking the guy didn't get heavy enough ones. As for the electrical issues, I am going to look at it tomorrow. Will hopefully have more info on it then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Found a pair of shocks that should work. About $1 a pound. Whew. As for the turn signals. Went out this morning and turned on the ignition. Signals worked fine as well as brake light. Went from right to left and they stopped working. I could hear a clicking noise so I believe it might be the flasher or the relay. Having trouble finding it at the moment. Trying to find a schematic or picture that shows where it is. I'll keep digging around to see if I can find it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After checking, I believe it is the relay. The flasher works and the 4 ways work even with both relays unplugged. I swapped the relays and got nothing. Swapped back got 2 flashes and they went out again so I may need to replace both relays. Quick question. I am searching but not finding the actual "can" type relay. I am seeing some rectangle ones but seem to have a different plug. Will I need to cut the original plug off and put on some quick connectors or is there an OEM relay that I can purchase?

·
Administrator
24,499 Posts
After checking, I believe it is the relay. The flasher works and the 4 ways work even with both relays unplugged. I swapped the relays and got nothing. Swapped back got 2 flashes and they went out again so I may need to replace both relays. Quick question. I am searching but not finding the actual "can" type relay. I am seeing some rectangle ones but seem to have a different plug. Will I need to cut the original plug off and put on some quick connectors or is there an OEM relay that I can purchase?
What relays are you looking at? If the lights worked with both unplugged they must not be the flasher relays.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a bit more checking, the relays I was looking at, acording to a pic I saw, are the air compressor and the brake light. They are left and right of the ignition box. I found the actual flashers for the signals and 4 ways. Swapped them and still getting the same issue.

·
Administrator
57,648 Posts
Sometimes dirty switches can cause some strange, intermittent problems.
Get some CRC lubricant and clean the switches first, then look else where.

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
I wonder if you can even get Progressive 416s anymore?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts