·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
i've been pretty lucky with the Sodium balance, I sweat a lot, and I drink a lot of water everyday.
I do take D3, C, and some other stuff, when I happen to think about it.

I use an alarm to notify to take the 2 most important meds for me, the Losartan and allergy pills.
and Mucus Relief...

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #163

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
It's been a long while since I've been on the forum but having many good times south of the border in the USA I decided to check in and see how people were doing.

Firstly I would like to refer to a humourous monologue by Bob Newhart wherein he presents a scenario where an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually reproduce the entire written works of Shakespeare.

Similarly, an infinite number of researchers in an infinite number of laboratories would eventually produce enough reports to argue any case. We are seeing this and on the internet anyone can falsify their credentials, making it worse.

Statistics are not facts. They are numbers that can be manipulated. In reality there has to be some correlations to age. If a 95 year old person person dies of C-19 it, IMO, shouldn't be weighted as much as a 25 year old. Unfortunately that would further confuse the numbers and increase the arguments due to information overload.

Please consider that this is a new disease and we haven't suffered under it long enough to understand the whole scope. Will it be like rubella, causing birth defects? Will it be like rheumatic fever causing heart defects? We don't know the consequences of the disease or treatments.

Personally I think we will develop a vaccine but the virus will mutate and we will have ongoing, hopefully lesser, outbreaks possibly forever.

Please consider that I am writing from Canada and there are many differences between Canada and the USA.

I had a lengthy discussion on the subject yesterday with a friend who is a psychiatrist and what I noticed was that he uses correct terms. It might sound petty but an incorrect word can encourage erroneous reactions.

Regarding using the correct term, there is a big difference between immune and "Don't die". There are cases of children contracting the disease however the incidence of death or serious reaction is rare. Children get injured or die falling from playground equipment, allergic reactions and being hit by falling tree branches.

I don't know the USA statistics but here a lot of people are having families later in life. If the couple waits until they're around forty to have a child they could be in their late forties / early fifties when their kid is in public school. The child could bring home the disease and recover but end up an orphan.

Since my friend has grandchildren much of the discussion was about the closing of schools. Ours are closed and reopening is under debate.

I commented to him that the medical system seemed in full gear but what about the psychological effects. He said it had hardly been touched.

N-95 Masks. According to my reading, the masks were originally designed for construction workers to prevent silicosis from breathing in concrete dust. They are far from perfect, IMO dealing more with droplets than aerosols, particularly upon exhaling.

Present Canadian stats are incredibly better than those in the USA. Part of that is our taxpayer funded medicare system. That is another issue. All I'll say is a person doesn't have to pay out of pocket for tests or treatment so it is easier to nip things in the bud.

Earlier stats looked good for us but when a couple of US hot spots were taken out a lot evened out but in the longer term we are doing well. Single digit deaths versus a thousand per day.

The Canada USA border is closed except for essential passage. We also have inter-provincial restrictions.

We have lock-downs and here in Ontario the major cities are stage 2 of relaxing. Restaurants are open for takeout and limited patio seating, well spaced out.

Virtually all fair and shows are cancelled. You are supposed to only share close space with 10 people that are part of your exclusive bubble so no big parties. Weddings are affected unless it's small. Bride, groom, parents, best man, bridesmaid, preacher and flower boy/girl.

One other thing that bothers me is the lack of responsibility of some people. I carry serious insurance on my vehicles because I am not perfect and should I be wrong I want any victim compensated as best as possible. If someone is wrong in their interpretation of masks, distancing etc how are they going to compensate the person they infected?

If I wear a mask and no one gets infected there are no costs. Err on the safe side.

Another peeve is that COVID is being used as an excuse to avoid doing things that have nothing to do with COVID. Companies are cutting staff and services. Companies and individuals are milking programs. Companies that were about to fail took advantage of bail outs.

Every person has his/her own situation. I am fortunate that living in Toronto I do own a house with, for a city, has a decent sized lot with a backyard. Unfortunately the developers over the decades have pushed up apartments and high rise condos.

Some buildings are 20 stories with 4 to 6 elevators. Suites can be as small as 800 square feet and nearby parkland is scarce. To me being locked down in one of those would have me in a straight jacket.

What bothers me the most is the hate and descent I see in the USA today. I hope cooler heads prevail and inner peace returns.

I wish everyone health and a return to prosperity.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
well said Len, a very balanced overview of the situation.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Ah Utopia! If only.

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
My wife hangs her mask on the deer statue to let it air. When she wasn't looking I put a few raisins in it to make it look like the deer pooped. She wasn't amused.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Registered
424 Posts
What bothers me the most is the hate and descent I see in the USA today. I hope cooler heads prevail and inner peace returns.
I'm not worried about COVID, this too shall pass. What bothers me more is the instantaneous disarming of the entire populace of Canada. That's permanent, and if history is any indicator it will kill more people than COVID.

And don't believe everything you see on TV, we're more unified than the media would have you believe. We stumble, and we fall, and we face adversity, and we persevere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another possible point comparing Canada vs. the US re virus deaths per day. The US has a far larger population so stating the US has x deaths while Canada only has y is not necessarily an accurate statement in terms of proving anything.
It may prove something, but simply comparing total deaths as is doesn't necessarily.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Canada shows 3 cases per 1,000 people. U.S. has nearly 13 cases per 1,000.
That's cases, not deaths.
Thanks, that's a more meaningful comparison. Then one could break it down to even more informative stats; i.e. what is the average age of those deaths, does one country have a higher ratio of "vulnerable" people (older, etc.).

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
The US population is about ten times that of Canada so our numbers should be one tenth of those in the USA. However it isn't that simple as we have universal health care and fewer large cities plus other factors. That is the reason simple statistics can skew reality.

Reactions: Mailman

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Canada shows 3 cases per 1,000 people. U.S. has nearly 13 cases per 1,000.
That's cases, not deaths.
And... Canada wasn't the target of this Xi Jinping virus either. Just impossible to compare the two countries.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Attaboy, , , you just succeeded in implying that more than 500 thousand deaths worldwide are just "collateral damage". Proof that you can't fix STUPID!!! ( and pretty dam disrespectful of others BTW)

·
Administrator
25,764 Posts
Attaboy, , , you just succeeded in implying that more than 500 thousand deaths worldwide are just "collateral damage". Proof that you can't fix STUPID!!! ( and pretty dam disrespectful of others BTW)
That's enough of that, no more insults or steps will be taken.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Attaboy, , , you just succeeded in implying that more than 500 thousand deaths worldwide are just "collateral damage". Proof that you can't fix STUPID!!! ( and pretty dam disrespectful of others BT
??????!! WAJ.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
I just returned from NJ . where EVERYBODY wears mask .How come after months of wearing it the transmission is higher than 1, presently? That means 100 infected people will get 100 people infected.Also their mortality is 3 times more than Fl even though they have less than half the population
I hear the bragging about the socialized medicine in Canada. But other say it's not all that good as you have to wait longtime for certain procedures.

Regarding guns I just listened to a few podcasts where most people get killed by knife A guy in Alberta killed 4 others with a knife he just grabbed from the kitchen (music band) in less than a minute.
But I love all canadians that come to Fl for the winter and leave millions behind. Keeps my tax low

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Because nothing prevents the spread, ,masks will only reduce the transmission as indicated by the fact that Doctors and medical personnel wear them. Hundreds of Dr's and medical folks have died of this disease too, which shows they're not a prevention, merely a tool for reducing the threat.

Their infection rate is 1.09% where as Florida is .99% so it's pretty close. A major difference is Florida has daily "new cases" rate of 48.0 per 100k, whereas NJ has a "new cases" rate of 4.8 per 100k. New Jersey has a 1.6% positivity rate on testing, , Florida has a positivity rate of 19%. Florida's ICU Headroom used is 100% (High risk of Hospital overload), whereas New Jersey's ICU Headroom used is 14% (Can likely handle an outbeak of the virus).

As with NY, the mortality rate in NJ is likely attributed to the fact that there was not as much knowledge of how the virus affects the body and even less knowledge on how to properly/effectively treat the disease. The states that had an explosion of infections after the "NY epicenter" ordeal benefited from the knowledge learned there.

Statistics source=America’s COVID warning system.

·
Pwhoever
3,132 Posts
For those that continue to talk about "cases, cases, cases", you definitely need to watch this full video. It's just over 10 mins long but gives reasonable responses and explains very well what is really happening. This is coming from a doctor that is involved in all of this and not another random group that is merely just analyzing questionable reports and giving their opinions... I would be talking about you BLUTHUNDR31

161 - 180 of 180 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.