Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I posted last month about the stress crack in the plastic part that houses the CB. I have removed the part and it is not cracked all the way through. Will the MEK repair the crack and how should I apply the MEK? Again the crack on the back side is not totally through.

Thanks for your reply.

Attachments

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Guess I didn't see your other post on this. But what is MEK???
As far as I have learned,,,,, our bike's plastic is of ABS,, and it has always been recommended to use ABS glue.
But hey,,,,,, I'm still learning :?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,394 Posts
imported post

Methel-Ethel will just melt the surface and make it look like ka-ka. If you can apply ABS glueonly in the crack it might help. If it were me, I'd just apply some material to the back for strength and leave the front be.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Mine did same, and I fixed it (structurely, not cosmeticly) by bonding some copper mesh to the back side using JB-Weld.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

Mine also cracked thru, above CB in r.h. corner. Waiting until riding season over; will most likely try ABS cement/ reinforcement strip on rear & post how this worked when it's done. TTFN.....papasmurf
P.S. Thiscourtesy of the wonderful road conditions we've encountered all over N.E.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I got a product from Auto Zone called "Self Adhesive Body Patch" from "Bondo" corp. A3M product. I is a metal mesh that can be cut to fit I believe I will use that and the ABS glue. I guess after having the Wing for 24 years a small crack should not bother me that bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.