Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The other day I pulled my old Yamaha IT 175 dirtbike out of storage cleaned the carbs and put gas init. The carb needed somemore work so I pulled it off again to clean it some more. Two weeks went by until I finally got the time to put the carb back on. Much to my shock, the plastic gas tank now has a massive crack on each side of it and verticle cracks running up from there. Ithink I can find a used tank, but my question is when I put this bike back in storage, It needs more work than I have money right now, What can be done to keep a new used tank from drying out like this. Sorry for the long post, but in all my years i have never seen aplastic tank do this. The bike has always been in a garage so I don't really know what would cause this. Any thoughts? Thank You.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Not sure about plastic bike tanks drying out?!

I know some classic car owners who would coat fiberglass cars with either "Vasaline" or a thich coat of "Car Wax" and store it without wiping it off!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

George.. the fuel will expand and contract ,,,most plastic fuel containers "flex"... your tank didn"t......

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

George, that can happen with old plastic tanks. Even plastic tanks (in cars)under 8 years old are cracking. There is a car dismantlers not t oo far from where I live and I know one of the owners. Apparently plastic tanks laid up for a long time doing nothing are more prone to cracking. I can't see why this should be, but there you have it. :?

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

gaswing wrote:
George, that can happen with old plastic tanks. Even plastic tanks (in cars)under 8 years old are cracking. There is a car dismantlers not t oo far from where I live and I know one of the owners. Apparently plastic tanks laid up for a long time doing nothing are more prone to cracking. I can't see why this should be, but there you have it. :?
The plastic tanks made in the last 5 years are better. Much more flexible and usually guaranteed to last at least 15 years. There arerevisedstandards that they have to meet now and part of the standards is that the tanks will flex without cracking and the inner won't peel off and get into the fuel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.