Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I overloaded the luggage rack on the trunk lid once on a long journey, and it left some cracks, radiating from the mounting holes. They are cracked all the way through to the inside. The lid is some kind of plastic, I suspect it's ABS, but not sure. I'm looking for a good strong repair method that'll be smooth and paintable.

·
Registered
745 Posts
It's ABS. I'll be doing the same repair to mine here soon (was that way when I bought the bike), I bought a large sheet of 1/4" ABS to reinforce the lid with. Heat the ABS sheet up in the oven, and with the luggage rack removed form the now soft ABS sheet to the inside of the trunk lid and let it harden. Once hardened into shape, cement it down with ABS Slurry (ABS Shavings mixed with ABS cement).

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
I like the use of ABS sheet if you can find it.

Back in the '90s, I cracked the lid of my '85's trunk. It's also ABS. I repaired using fiberglass and mesh on inside and added some larger self made washers on top side. Still good.

I made some 3" OD washers for the '97 trunk, but it never cracked. It has had some weight on it.

Buddy of mine and I watched a fellow slam his lid with rack shut, he turned to me and shook his head. Said best way is ease down, then just give a slight pull at top of seat back.

Reactions: dwade

·
Registered
745 Posts
I got it on Amazon. They have a wide selection of sheet in various sizes and thicknesses. I got a 1/8" sheet 1 foot by 2 feet also. Good for other repairs. This is likely more ABS Sheet than I'll use in a lifetime. Prices not bad either....

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Reactions: DenverWinger

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
I got it on Amazon. They have a wide selection of sheet in various sizes and thicknesses. I got a 1/8" sheet 1 foot by 2 feet also. Good for other repairs. This is likely more ABS Sheet than I'll use in a lifetime. Prices not bad either....

I have bought plenty of sheets of ABS plastic off Amazon, 1/16 to 1/4 inch thick. 12 x 12 and 12 by 24.

Cutting ABS can't be simpler. Score heavily with a sharp blade, and snap the pieces apart, much like you would a piece of glass. Since ABS is not a brittle material, it will bend a bit before it snaps apart at the scored line.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
In my humble opinion, Oatey 30916/7/8/ or 9 Extra Special Cement is the best stuff to use on ABS. Especially if the piece you are repairing flexes. Rule of thumb for me; if it sees twisting force use OESC, if it doesn't you can use almost anything. Epoxy, JBWeld, normal ABS clue...etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts