Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:baffled:Hi ,i'm a new goldwing owner! I have a 1985 interstate that I"ve been trying to rebuild with little goldwing no how ! just what I've been reading on this great site! My problem is no spark, if I get it to start it run's for about 10 min's and stop's I just replaced the cdi, Help!!!!!!!!

Glassman

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet glassman!:waving::waving:

For starters get a manual. You'll have a lot better luck working on these bikes with a service manual. I'd recommend the Clymer's for your bike. It's kind of difficult to guess much on your description, if you have no spark how can you get it to run at all? Running at all for ten minutes and then quitting sounds more like fuel starvation than an ignition problem. How about giving us a few more details to help?

BTW it helps if you'll put your bike model and year in your signature line in your profile.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

glassman wrote:
:baffled:Hi ,i'm a new goldwing owner! I have a 1985 interstate that I"ve been trying to rebuild with little goldwing no how ! just what I've been reading on this great site! My problem is no spark, if I get it to start it run's for about 10 min's and stop's I just replaced the cdi, Help!!!!!!!!

Glassman
Glassman, put a test light (or voltmeter) on the coil's power side wires.. If the voltage stays up (around 12+ volts) as the engine dies then suspect your pulse generators (under the front timing belt cover)..

If the coil voltage falls off then suspect a problem with the 2 large red wires where they enter the starter relay, or possibly a failing ignition switch (somewhat common), or other wire/resistance problems..

Use an ohmmeter to check the pulse generators (do that right when you lose spark as they are usually heat sensitive as to when they fail..

Twisty

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

DONT throw electrical parts at this machine in an attempt to fix it, youll waste a wheelbarrow full of money. The electronic boxes rarely fail. Yep,. pulse coil or pull the spark plugs and might find them fouled from igniiton or carb problems.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

First check for a clogged "vent hose" to the Gas cap ?!:baffled:

Could be sediment in the Carb screens in the bowls?:baffled:

and the fuel filter?

Could check for spark in the wires but the fact that it starts and runs for 10 mins leads you back to a fuel problem or a vent problem?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
First check for a clogged "vent hose" to the Gas cap ?!:baffled:

Could be sediment in the Carb screens in the bowls?:baffled:

and the fuel filter?

Could check for spark in the wires but the fact that it starts and runs for 10 mins leads you back to a fuel problem or a vent problem?
Wingdawg, he says his problem is no spark.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

How can it be "No Spark " if it runs for 10 mins?

Did he check the spark right before it dies after the 10 min?If so how?

That part is confusing me?:baffled:

Glassman , this is a shot in the dark, but check your 30 amp fuse for hairline cracks or for being loose , this can make a bike cut out? But usually it happens while you're running down the road?

http://www.armchair.mb.ca/wings/GL1200LTD/

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

It start's once in a while after cranking over and over again ! when it shuts down .it won't attempt start again until its sat for along while( like over night!) I put in new plugs,after it shut down,hooked up plug tester crankedit over and got no spark! it act's when a circuit breaker hot and won't reset until it cools down! ichecked the fuel pump it;s good

thank's :cool:Glassman

P.S. I went and got a book!

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
imported post

Yep, common symptom when the PG's go out. Read up on testing them. Usually just one goes out, making it easy to compare resistance readings with a DVM.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

http://www.goldwingsite.com/TipsTricks.htm

Site for service manual. Go to chapter 5 (section 4). I had the exact problem. Start sometimes and then die. I checked all the electrical and then changed the pulse generator. Do a search on my nameand track back my posts (and replies). Not too big of a job. You dont have to remove the swing arm on the 85 model. Remember when you fill the radiator, you may have to let it run and top off several times until all the air is out. It took me about 2 hours and the part cost about $80.00 Canadian.

Sorry I diod not reply sooner, i sold my Wing (got a VTX 1300) and dont visit here ofter

Poppy RB904

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

glassman wrote:

Glassman
Hi:waving:I just tested the fuel pump, checked all of the fuses & connection'stheir all good the 85 interstate won't start at all now! all it will do is turn over with no spark! I brought a digital multimeter to try and test the pulse generators and don't really know where to set it at(0-200-2000-20k-200k-ect.) got a ohm's reading at 20k of13.89 on the y/w-y and 12.07 on the b/w-b wires is this showing that the pg's are bad? where should i set the meter

Glassman

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It looks like you have the ohmmeter set right, you've got valid readings. I don't have any information on the DC resistance of the pulser coilsbut the difference looks significant. I'm sure someone more familiar with your model will come along soon, Twisty should have that information, he's up on the 1200s.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
imported post

You've got a PM coming your way...... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

glassman wrote:
glassman wrote:

Glassman
Hi:waving:I just tested the fuel pump, checked all of the fuses & connection'stheir all good the 85 interstate won't start at all now! all it will do is turn over with no spark! I brought a digital multimeter to try and test the pulse generators and don't really know where to set it at (0-200-2000-20k-200k-ect.) got a ohm's reading at 20k of13.89 on the y/w-y and 12.07 on the b/w-b wires is this showing that the pg's are bad? where should i set the meter

Glassman
Glassman, the specs on those PG's are 1100-1300 ohms at room temperature (68°-70°F).. Move your meter to the 2000 ohm range.

It sounds like the static resistance of your PG's is pretty good (be sure you have good connections of your meter & keep your fingers off the meter probe metal ends while testing.

Have you checked for over 10 DC volts TO the ignition coils power side while cranking.. If not be sure the coilspower is10 volts or above while cranking.

Then move your voltmeter (or a test light) to the low side (ign box side) of the coils & see if the voltage jumps from 0 to 10+,0 to 10+, 0 to 10+volts while cranking (or the test flickers on & of while cranking. If not find out why.. If you have coil power & the low side powers on & off while cranking your problems are someplace else.

Remember one spark plug on a coil MUST be grounded while testing for spark on the other spark plug on that coil.. One plug on each coil is the other spark plugs ground path.. A good rule for testing for spark on the old Wings is to only remove the one spark plug you are testing (leave the others installed & hooked up)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

:waving:Hi, I been going over the 85 interstate, and found out that the cdi I just replaced !! has burned out again $$$$could thatbe why I'm getting no spark ? The person that I got the bike fromsaid ,that he was riding along when it just quit! and that the 2 fusable links on the side battery went bad, and the 3 yellow wire's were burnt,and also the cdi ! hefixed the wiring,& replaced the cdi with a new one from honda ($400.) it started up he drove 5miles the cdi went out again !! he gave up!! brought a gl1500 I replaced the cdi it started up! I rode a couple miles it acted fine! I took it apart painted it !! and now I'm back to the beginning !!:gunhead::gunhead::gunhead: Help !!

Glassman

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Glassman, here's some cheaper CDIs on eBay. CDI

It sounds like there's a wiring, regulator or stator problem, have you measured the voltage out of the regulator with the engine running?

How did you determine that the CDI unit had burned out?

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
imported post

Stopped by and re-met Glassman yesterday, to help check the pulse-generators with my meter. I recorded 1,600 and 1,700 ohms at about 42 degrees :grinner:,concrete block garage temperature. The regulator checked good as far as the static diode test.

Glassman says he needed a battery and we didn't try to start the wing. He did have the cover off for the CDI and the very strong odor of burnt electrics was present. (though no damage was apparent).

Bob was going to pull a little more plastic for better access to the coils and we'll get deeper into it.

I've got to get off night shift and get a life... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
glassman wrote:
glassman wrote:

Glassman
Hi:waving:I just tested the fuel pump, checked all of the fuses & connection'stheir all good the 85 interstate won't start at all now! all it will do is turn over with no spark! I brought a digital multimeter to try and test the pulse generators and don't really know where to set it at (0-200-2000-20k-200k-ect.) got a ohm's reading at 20k of13.89 on the y/w-y and 12.07 on the b/w-b wires is this showing that the pg's are bad? where should i set the meter

Glassman
Glassman, the specs on those PG's are 1100-1300 ohms at room temperature (68°-70°F).. Move your meter to the 2000 ohm range.

It sounds like the static resistance of your PG's is pretty good (be sure you have good connections of your meter & keep your fingers off the meter probe metal ends while testing.

Have you checked for over 10 DC volts TO the ignition coils power side while cranking.. If not be sure the coilspower is10 volts or above while cranking.

Then move your voltmeter (or a test light) to the low side (ign box side) of the coils & see if the voltage jumps from 0 to 10+,0 to 10+, 0 to 10+volts while cranking (or the test flickers on & of while cranking. If not find out why.. If you have coil power & the low side powers on & off while cranking your problems are someplace else.

Remember one spark plug on a coil MUST be grounded while testing for spark on the other spark plug on that coil.. One plug on each coil is the other spark plugs ground path.. A good rule for testing for spark on the old Wings is to only remove the one spark plug you are testing (leave the others installed & hooked up)..

Twisty

Twisty: Does this also apply to an '81 GL1100 interstate? I was about to order new CDIs on ebay because I thought mine were burnt out. The plastic is all melted away and I have no spark on any of the plugs, but I was testing with only one spark plug hooked up per side. I was assuming that since the plastic stuff is all melted, that they are bad. Do you think they still may be good if tested correctly?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.