Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
21,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 year old Scepter 50" TV took a dump. No picture at all. All other functions working, just no picture.

Had a friend over to look at it and we had it apart in the garage. He thinks it's totaled, so, I now have a very big radio. :grin3:

I shouldn't make fun. This is a financial hit at a very bad time. Can anyone recommend a cheap source for reliable TVs?

·
Administrator
24,670 Posts
My son gave me his 60" Sony TV, not even a year old. I used it a couple weeks and the sound went out. Maybe one of us could use both and have picture and sound.

·
Administrator
21,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Walmart? Nothing is reliable any more its all made in China crap, except a Goldwing.

I got this one at Walmart. Dave's example of a high-end model going out makes me think I should just buy the cheapest thing I can find and hope for the best.

Anyone ever heard of some kind of electronics closeout warehouse that sells stuff super cheap?

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Have a 42" free for you, just come and get it.
I only had one TV go bad on me, years back. No more LG products for me . GE sucked all the time and I go out of the way to avoid getting one.
( look in Craig list you can get a TV for next to nothing)

·
Registered
591 Posts
My five year old 55" Sceptre in the den crapped out the main power board last year, No little red standby light or anything. I was able to find a replacement board searching the internet with the board part number. Think I paid $60 for the board. Working perfectly now.

Try shining a flashlight at your screen, if you can see the faintest hint of an image it might be as simple as getting a new driver board to power the backlight LEDs.

Before buying the Scepter I bought a 55" RCA 4K/UHD. Total Junk, it went back to the store after two weeks. Settled on the Sceptre as I have a 11 yr old 46" in the living room that is absolutely flawless, and it gets played probably 16 hrs/day 7 days a week!

The 55" Sceptre was bought to replace the 22 yr old GE 31" CRT/Analog, all that glass weighs a TON. Still has a perfect picture (for what it is), and lives in the corner of the garage now.

Also have a Sceptre 1080p 32" (1080p is rare in a 32") on my desk that gets used mostly as a computer monitor thru the VGA input. Makes a FABULOUS monitor! But it is light enough I can just grab it and a set of rabbit ears and use it out on the patio.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
You don't have a prankster around who might have turned the brightness control to zero? Perhaps someone who would also transfer the label of his sisters favorite mix tape to a blank cassette?>:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had a 7 year old Samsung tv fail on me about 5 years ago, I opened it up & found a blown capacitor on the power board, ordered a pack of 5 on eBay & soldered it in place of the blown one, it’s still working now like a new tv , cost about 50 pence to fix.
Fault at that time was it would turn on & off constantly.
I wouldn’t throw it out until you have at least had a look, it might be a simple fix, if not then nothing ventured nothing gained

·
Administrator
57,972 Posts
we have 4 Samsung LED TV sets. all of them working just fine.

3 in the house, the Living Room keeps getting a bigger/newer one with a wider range of viewing. That one is now about 2 years old.

My bedroom has the previous one from the Living Room, age? 7 years plus

Cyndi's bedroom has the one I brought up from Phoenix, AZ 10 plus years ago and it was a few years old then.

The RV has the newest one, the speakers on it are not good enough for me to hear it well, bought it a year ago in Waco, TX the day after we bought the Toy Hauler and decided that 106°F is too hot to travel, stopped at a very nice RV campground under trees and plugged in the roof top A/C unit..... ah the blessing of cool air :) and found a TV at a Walmart.... of course.

Going to swap the RV tv set with the one in my bedroom, it has good speakers, and the cords come out the edge of it, instead of the backside as the RV is.

the RV TV has to hang on brackets that loop over the top of a cabinet edge...
nowhere to mount a TV permanently, so cords out the back don't work so well, they get bent over flat and Kaput! pretty quick. we use HDMI and the 3 RGB cords from a DVD player on it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you can find which board on it is shot you can get spare boards of the internet. eBay sell some but there are other places

·
Administrator
21,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, thank you all for your input. I am going to fiddle with the old set to see if I can get it working again. Lots of how-tos on YouTube.

With that in mind I was going to buy a smaller set, destined eventually for the bedroom, but when I saw that the price of a 32 inch model was going to be near as high as a 50 inch, I pulled the trigger on basically the same model as the one being replaced. A 50 inch Sceptre. Because...it cost $207.74 delivered to my door, including tax.

I opted to not do the 4K model as there's so little programming available at such high res and I only have a handful of BluRays. None of my DVDs are ultra high def. I doubt my aging eyes could even tell the difference.

So, again, thanks for the input. It really does help with decision making.
And here's to hoping I get more than 4½ years of service out of the new set. :cheers:

·
Administrator
57,972 Posts
Dennis,
we have given up on HiDef, we can't see the difference in the movies they show now.
so why pay the premium charges?

and we got rid of our HiDef subscriptions to Sat TV when we dumped DirecTV and went to DISH.... dropped my TV subscription considerably.

·
Administrator
21,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dennis,
we have given up on HiDef, we can't see the difference in the movies they show now.
so why pay the premium charges?

and we got rid of our HiDef subscriptions to Sat TV when we dumped DirecTV and went to DISH.... dropped my TV subscription considerably.
Yeah, the 4K model was only $20 more, but it seemed senseless to pay for something I'd seldom use and probably wouldn't be able to distinguish anyway.

We get 80 to 90 "over the air" channels here in Phoenix area. Only 4 broadcast at 1080 and maybe a dozen at 720. The rest are 480 or less.

And what was the film resolution on those old TV shows and movies? Broadcasting them at 2160 won't make them any sharper.

·
Administrator
24,670 Posts
Watching sports is the only reason I can think of to want high resolution and I don't watch any sports. I can see everything I need to see in 720.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I have one for you

4 year old Scepter 50" TV took a dump. No picture at all. All other functions working, just no picture.

Had a friend over to look at it and we had it apart in the garage. He thinks it's totaled, so, I now have a very big radio. :grin3:

I shouldn't make fun. This is a financial hit at a very bad time. Can anyone recommend a cheap source for reliable TVs?
Dennis, we got an extra TV, free to you if you want to drive up here for it. If I had read this a day earlier, I could have brought it to you! I just got back from a drive down to the valley and back. Sold my 2009 BMW R1200R today, cause it just doesn't stand up to an '84 Goldwing Standard!

Anyway the TV is a 48" flat screen, not real flat, like when they were 4-5" thick. It's a Visio I think. If you really want it, I will test it all before you drive up. Best wishes, JD

·
Administrator
21,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dennis, we got an extra TV, free to you if you want to drive up here for it. If I had read this a day earlier, I could have brought it to you! I just got back from a drive down to the valley and back. Sold my 2009 BMW R1200R today, cause it just doesn't stand up to an '84 Goldwing Standard!

Anyway the TV is a 48" flat screen, not real flat, like when they were 4-5" thick. It's a Visio I think. If you really want it, I will test it all before you drive up. Best wishes, JD
Thanks, but the issue was resolved with a credit card.

·
Administrator
21,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why are we talkin about broken TVs on the goldwing forum.
We are a family and talk about everything. We have a computer forum and even one for guns. We've discussed subjects like building houses, replacing floors, heating garages, cancer cures and Cuba, just to name a few.

There have been threads in which someone posted that his whatchamacallit had broken, and a member from across the country who happened to be a whatchamacallit repairman knew exactly what was wrong, and explained how to replace a broken widget and get the machine working again.

However, we don't allow posts about sex or politics.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts