Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok, so I'm riding yesterday and I notice that the ride on the rear is getting a little rough. So I get up today and I go to check the air pressure at the schrader valve and find that there is no air in the shocks! I air it up to 45 psi and go for a short ride. Come back and check it and the air has let out. What are my possible culprits here?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Damaged o-rings on the hoses, bad schrader valve, bad hoses. blown seal or seals.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

All of which require taking the rear end of the bike apart to check I assume....

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Go to your local Home depot or hardware store get some gas line leak detector its not that much, or just make it your self....Take an old dish washing liquid bottle fill it with water add about 4 or 5 table spoons of soap in and squirt it on valve, all hose connectors, you might have to take the seat off to get to some of the connectors???...But if air is leaking at any of these connections it will start bubbling right away...If no bubbles at any connector then my next guess like baggy would be bad shock seals....Sure hope you can find and fix it before the 17th of October....

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

You'll have to remove the trunk, saddlebags and seat to get to most of the connections minimum for an Interstate, more for the Aspy.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

instead of making your own bubbles go to wally world and buy some bubbles that the kids use , pour it into a spray bottle and check the whole system

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

OH OK I almost made a bo bo on the type of bubbles you are talking about..You are talking about the one were you have that little wand and it makes bubbles...Yeah that would work but I still say pour it on, because if you spray it ...its going to foam up.....Our grand kids drove us nuts two weeks ago with those bottles of bubbles..they left them here I went out and tried some in a spray bottle ..it foams....

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,272 Posts
imported post

On the GL12 you don't have to remove the trunk, just the seat and side covers.

I think if the shock seals are leaking air, they would also be leaking oil and you would see it. Most likely, one of the hoses has been pinched and worn through.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

?????????? It foamed for me.....NP...as long as pirate finds his leak.....

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Well folk, I lucked out on this one. Bad schrader valve. My FnL had a extra laying around in his shop and presto. It's fixed and it didn't cost a thing. Best kind of fix.:dude::action:

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

First check the air hoses, also check the valve stem. if it was losing air though the shocks seals then you would have a mess already in the rear wheel area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.